Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune/move Salix purpurea 'Nana' now?

Posted by tangerine_z6 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 9, 09 at 15:57

My one year old dwarf blue arctic willow 'Nana' has outgrown its space in my small front yard and will need to be moved. Can it be pruned hard and moved now or should I wait until next spring? It is a wonderful swaying shrub, just in the wrong space. I live in zone 6.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune/move Salix purpurea 'Nana' now?

I had the SAME problem! I don't know why the hell they advertise these at 4' X 4'. Apparently they get more like 6' X 6'...even bigger. I guess if you prune them back hard to the ground every year (which they don't mind) it may get 4' X 4'. But if you want that sway look its better off left alone and pruned back hard every few years.

I made the mistake of moving 4 of them a few weeks ago. There top growth was so top heavy, and it was extremely hard to balance the shrub because of its ridiculous root structure. It barely had a ball it just had random 1" curvy roots. Yes 1" roots on a 1.5 year old shrub.

Moral of the story? Wait until leave drop. Prune lightly.
You can then prune back hard the following year.

o

Okay, thanks for sharing your experience with me whaas. Interesting about the small roots. The shrub is really much larger than I anticipated but also a lovely specimen. In my small front yard it overpowers every thing and looks ridiculous but it will be an asset in the back where it can sway freely.

o

You meant large roots right? A 1" caliper root on a 1.5 yr old planted #3 cnt. is out of control! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here