Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotpprs

Inexpensive shrub to prevent soil erosion on hilly slope

hotpprs
13 years ago

Hello. I have a hilly slope where my driveway was built up to keep it level as it approaches my house. The slope goes downwards to the North, about 8 to 10 feet to my neighbor's property line, which is kind of a dead area as it is the back corner of his house where he doesn't really go.

I had autumn olive shrubs there which grew too high, then wild raspberry bushes grew there which got out of control and weren't lush enough to keep weeds from growing through them. So I just sprayed roundup to kill everything and start fresh.

I am looking for something that is inexpensive, that will grow on a hill, with partial shade, will replicate on it's own like raspberries, can shade out weeds, not grow more then 4 or 6 feet tall, something not designed to be trimmed perfectly like a square hedge, and possibly provide some color in the spring, summer or fall.

I was thinking of some kind of forsythia that I see growing well in my neighborhood. But not sure if that is the best to shade out weeds, may be another mess like the raspberry bushes. These stink weeds grow all through the raspberry bushes. Any ideas on forsythia or other ideas?

This is in zone 6 of the southern New York suburbs in Westchester county.

Comments (8)