Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jddawg37

Dying Arborvitae - z7

jddawg37
12 years ago

I need help determining what is happening to my arborvitae. I planted two about a year and half ago and one is doing fine. Both were until about a month ago. They have received plenty of rain lately and I have watered each the same during droughts. I added liquid fertilizer when I first noticed the brownness and have also sprayed for mites but nothing has improved. I am attaching a photograph and would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

no pic

why would a stressed tree need fert???

were there actually any mites on it.. or were you winging it??

when you planted.. did you bare root and untangle roots??

what is your native soil ....

bigboxstore??/

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

please dont send any more pix to my email ..

link below for tutorial on posting pix

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• jddawg37
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate the assistance I have received and will, hopefully, be able to save this one arborvitae. Unfortunately my help did not come from Ken, who wants to play 20 questions, request a photograph, and then criticize for how he received it. Thanks for the 2 responses you sent full of nothing. I had rather you pass my posts by if you intentions are to criticize rather than help. If I knew all the answers like you pretend to do, I wouldn't be on here posting.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

When folks on this forum request a picture, they mean for it to be posted here on GardenWeb and in the same thread as the original inquiry.

As for ken and his 20 questions -- Whenever a question about why a plant is dying and/or failing and/or dead, lots of info is needed to ferret out possible answers. Unfortunately, we who try to answer questions posted here and elsewhere, don't yet have ESP; at least, I don't.

So that's why the need for 20 questions and answers. We know only what OP tells us.

• jddawg37
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken asked for a photograph in his original response, which I attempted to attach in my original post but it would not allow me. Probably my error somehow. Regardless, replied to the email i received which prompted my response to go to his personal email, which contained the photograph he requested. I sent a photograph, which he requested, to receive a response of "do not send pictures to my email." I respect that but I would prefer no response or, at least a respectful response, which I have received neither from him. I received no help, only negative criticism. Thanks jen for all your help as well. I will continue to seek assistance from those outside this site. I should have known better.

• Vicki
    12 years ago

For whatever its worth, I haven't had good luck with arborvitae and have had to remove 2 out of 3 I planted. They are very intolerant of windburn. It might be the location of the one as opposed to the other. I've seen oodles of posts here where others have also had mystery problems with some of them browning out. I don't think Ken means to be rude, but he can come across that way sometimes online.