Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritholtz

Please ID these shrubs.

ritholtz
10 years ago

Please let me know name of small green shrub and colored shrub. Do I need to trim these shrubs as well along with privets. Looks like my colored leave shrub is in distress.

Comments (9)

• ritholtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have these tall shrub next to foundation. Wondering if it can affect the foundation.
    Thanks.

• ritholtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is this small shrub also Privet which requires constant pruning. Is it possible to remove them and plant some where else. I am planning to fill this space with tall growing Privet for screening.

Thanks

This post was edited by ritholtz on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 17:15

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Greetings. I can't answer all your questions, but I can help with IDs on some.

First pic, the reddish leaved plants are Nandina Firepower. They don't really take to pruning all that well. Smaller green shrub could be boxwood.

2nd pic: I doubt it would hurt foundation, but I don't know what it is without a closeup.

Last pic looks like Indian Hawthorn. Should be easy to transplant with enough rootball. Fall is a good time.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Everything except the background hedge is being pruned too much. The box, nandina and Indian hawthorn are arranged informally and placed in front of the privet, which forms a living wall - an architectural feature composed of plants - behind them. Close clipping goes with that usage; close clipping does not fit the placement of the others, which should be reorganized so that there is enough room for each to grow naturally and display their individual characteristics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shear Madness

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 23:40

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

My eyes....my eyes!

• ritholtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi dave_in_nova,
    Thanks for giving me ID's for these shrubs. There are planted by my previous owner. We are trying to move/remove some shrubs. But we would like to get some info about growing privet hedge taller along the fens. We also need to fill the gaps in the privet hedge with either more privets or something similar.
    This is the pic of tall shrub next to the foundation.

• ritholtz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi bboy and rhizo_1,
    Let me know if something is wrong with them. I am actually thinking of removing Nandina Firepower and booxwood from the corner and make it a lawn. If possible would like to move privets to the side hedge.
    We moved into this home few months. We are trying to come up with ideas for screening surrounding town homes. I am yet to prune any of these shrubs. I am looking for pruning privet hedge. Are there any recommendations how much to prune in order to grow them fast and as a privacy hedge.

This post was edited by ritholtz on Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 18:52

• jeff_al
    10 years ago

the close-up of the large shrub looks like wax myrtle to me.
    they are not typically used as a sheared foundation shrub but rather would normally be planted where they can grow naturally into a (large) billowy form as a screen, informal planting or wildlife enhancement. if that is what you have, you can notice a distinctive clean, medicinal odor when you crush the leaves. it is also called bayberry. they grow fast and will require several prunings per growing season to maintain that shape and size.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If you want something simple sheared hedges plus mown grass is a good way to go. You have to do the shearing and mowing but otherwise you have a tidy scene with a minimum of time being required. Additional interest can be gained by planting a few widely spaced deciduous trees in the grass, with the lawn coming right up to them after some years of establishment (during which they are allowed to grow in grass-free mulched spots - and, of course at no time do you want to eat through their bark with string trimmers - either when the trees are new and small or later).