Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnum x pragense

Posted by cyn427 z7aN. VA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 17:19

I have finally decided that I would like to try a couple of Viburnum x pragense next to the neighbor's fence. It fits many of my needs: evergreen (need to block their trashcans across their yard that they have begun to keep in a place we can always look out and see them), flowering, height of greater than 7', good width for the spot, works for part shade (I realize it may not flower as profusely, but it does get morning sun and some in the afternoon). It will have room to grow as large as it wants and as far as I'm concerned, the bigger the better.

I plan to build it a little berm to raise it a tad between the oaks which are about 8' away on both sides.

Does anyone know of any good reason NOT to use this shrub? I can find it at Lazy S'S Farm online. I can't recall ever having seen one in real life!

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnum x pragense

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 9, 11 at 22:09

From a foliage perspective...my favorite Viburnum!

I planted this one last month. I like the two tone effect. Its a dark glossy green on the top and a matte light green on the bottom.

Photobucket

o

Thanks! If you have one, then I know I made a great choice! Thanks for the picture, too. It is a good-looking shrub! I suspect mine will be smaller since they are only charging $10.99, but I am patient and will enjoy watching it grow!

Thanks again.

o

Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 14:50

They are supposed to be very fast growers. Should do well in your zone. We'll see how it does in my zone!

o

whaas:

Here in northern IL, it gets cut down to the snowline frequently enough to make it a poor choice for a specimen plant.

o

Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 22:18

How for from the lake are you? That can make quite a difference.

This one is actually quite hidden from everyday viewing. If I can get 4-5' out of it on an annual basis I'll be happy.

o

Mine should be here next week. Hope it knows that it is supposed to grow quickly and look like yours, whaas! Maybe I will plant your picture next to it as inspiration-ha!

o

This plant needs protection from wind in zone 5. Mine was killed to the ground two years ago from a strong winter wind.

Frank

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 16:16

Frank, is that the plant before or after the winter damage?

o

The picture was taken today.

Frank

o

Fri, Sep 23, 11 at 20:34

Bounced back quite nicely!

o

Frank, I agree with whaas! Wow.

Mine arrived last week and I plan to plant them today. Small, but very healthy looking. I am debating which neighbor to screen. One said will get more sun, but the other side is the one I am more eager to screen first. I will read up more on it and decide.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys!

Cynthia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here