Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Afternoon Sun and New Shrub Plantings

Posted by sarcare 6 utah (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 26, 09 at 17:58

I just recently started gardening when I moved into my house, and I'm basically starting from scratch both knowledge wise and with what is there. After pulling weeds and tilling the back yard, I mixed compost with the sandy top soil to make some beds where I planted shrubs. I thought I'd done my research and found shrubs that would do well in the conditions my back yard has, but since some of my plants aren't doing so well I thought I'd find out if moving them to a less sunny location might save them. (it faces West, and the bed on the back of my house gets direct sunlight from about noon until the sun goes down, the bed on the north side gets sun a little bit earlier in the day and is shaded for part of the very late afternoon, and the most westerly part of the yard gets sun from about 9 am until around 2 when the fence shades it.)

I planted the following:
Viburnum "common snowball"
Ninebark Diablo
spirea
blue mist spirea
Mock Orange
cottoneaster
lilac
fernbush (a Utah native)
potentilla
Black Lace Elderberry
Black Elderberry
Redtwig dogwood

Anyway, the shrubs I planted along the back of my house two weeks ago (the redtwig dogwood, the potentillas, blue mist spirea, the black lace elderberry, and fernbush) are not doing too well (especially the redtwig and one of the potentillas). It looks like the leaves are getting sunburned, and that they may be getting too much or too little water. My mom said the redtwig needs to be in moist dirt constantly, but even though I water morning and evening it droops and the leaves are crispy.

So my question is, should I move these plants somewhere away from the afternoon sun? I have other spots where they'd get morning sun only. And if I move them, what can I put there that could tollerate the afternoon sun? I'd like a shrub that would grow fairly tall to provide shade for the house, but not so tall it runs into the low hanging power lines (which is why I can't plant trees)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Afternoon Sun and New Shrub Plantings

Alot going on there in the post.

To answer the question on the potentilla...they are as tough as nails. They like fun sun and tolerate dry conditions.

To answer the question on the dogwood...they do thrive in moist conditions but do tolerate dry conditions and full sun.

Lastly, both these plants tend not to look the greatest by the end of the season (speaking of established plants in zone 5). I forget the technical reasons why.

So in short, I think your fine. Just give them a good watering going into late fall. They'll come back just fine in spring.

I think you have a good base of basic plants, so Save your premium morning sun location for better plants...ie Hydrangeas, Fothergillas, Azaeleas.

o

I doubt the poster can grow either fothergillas or azaleas in Utah. Isn't the soil alkaline?

o

I have clay alkaline soil...sure didn't stop me, its a fine balance of ammendment.

I used it as a mear example to use that location for more fussy plants that give back with their form and blooms. If its not the plants I listed, I am sure there are others for the poster's area.

o

the issue is.. whether a newbie can ID transplant shock .... water properly.. and wait to see how it all works out next spring..

its October .... plants look like carp ...

you transplanted.. or planted.. perhaps a few weeks earlier than i would have ... so there is some shock involved ... hence the leaf coloration ...

all are deciduous ... meaning they lose their leaves ... which they will do in 2 to 3 weeks ... or so

they will grow new roots all winter long... or until the soil freezes ... you MUST insure PROPER water... late into the fall.. without freezing them into an ice cube ...

most shrubs are nearly bulletproof ...

you risk killing them with too much love rather than benign neglect... AND MOVING THEM AGAIN... IS .... TOO MUCH LOVE ..

PROPER water .. is all they need .. ask if you dont know what that means ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here