Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarcare

Afternoon Sun and New Shrub Plantings

sarcare
14 years ago

I just recently started gardening when I moved into my house, and I'm basically starting from scratch both knowledge wise and with what is there. After pulling weeds and tilling the back yard, I mixed compost with the sandy top soil to make some beds where I planted shrubs. I thought I'd done my research and found shrubs that would do well in the conditions my back yard has, but since some of my plants aren't doing so well I thought I'd find out if moving them to a less sunny location might save them. (it faces West, and the bed on the back of my house gets direct sunlight from about noon until the sun goes down, the bed on the north side gets sun a little bit earlier in the day and is shaded for part of the very late afternoon, and the most westerly part of the yard gets sun from about 9 am until around 2 when the fence shades it.)

I planted the following:

Viburnum "common snowball"

Ninebark Diablo

spirea

blue mist spirea

Mock Orange

cottoneaster

lilac

fernbush (a Utah native)

potentilla

Black Lace Elderberry

Black Elderberry

Redtwig dogwood

Anyway, the shrubs I planted along the back of my house two weeks ago (the redtwig dogwood, the potentillas, blue mist spirea, the black lace elderberry, and fernbush) are not doing too well (especially the redtwig and one of the potentillas). It looks like the leaves are getting sunburned, and that they may be getting too much or too little water. My mom said the redtwig needs to be in moist dirt constantly, but even though I water morning and evening it droops and the leaves are crispy.

So my question is, should I move these plants somewhere away from the afternoon sun? I have other spots where they'd get morning sun only. And if I move them, what can I put there that could tollerate the afternoon sun? I'd like a shrub that would grow fairly tall to provide shade for the house, but not so tall it runs into the low hanging power lines (which is why I can't plant trees)

Comments (4)