Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vettekid

Gardenia

vettekid
13 years ago

My elderly mother recently moved in with me and brought a gardenia shrub that she had since 1963. The gardenia is in a large pot, but it hasn't bloomed for several years (and then only with a few blooms.) I would like to do whatever necessary to encourage this plant to bloom again, but have no idea what to do. The gardenia shrub is about 3 feet tall, but don't know whether it should be pruned or if it needs some kind of fertilizers. The leaves are green, but the plant seems to be rather spindly. It stays outside in the spring, summer and fall, but only gets indirect sun. Should I plant directly in the ground? What should I do to bring this plant back to good blooming health? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I have one that size that I bought 20 years ago. When I have it outside, it gets little direct sun. Too much will kill it. I do cut mine back to encourage a bushier habit, but I don't know if now is the best time, even though I am pretty sure I have pruned in the fall. Gardenias will set blooms when the night temps are around 60 degrees or lower. Mine does not bloom until I bring it back in for winter. We turn the heat down at night to 55 degrees and the plant flowers in January, February, and/or March and maybe into April. Mine does not bloom profusely, but I also rarely fertilize it-I just forget. Maybe this year I will make a point of remembering thanks to you! Oh, and when I bring mine in, it is in full sun in east-facing windows across the back of our house.

Hope you can get some blooms. There is nothing better than the scent of gardenias.

• vettekid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information. I will try to take care of mine as you have suggested. I do have 2 questions.
    1. How much do you prune your branches? and
    2. How much and what kind of fertilizer do you use?

Thanks!

• jay_7bsc
    13 years ago

Dear vettekid Memphis:
    If you live in Memphis, TN, your gardenia should be far happier planted outdoors in the yard than grown in a pot and kept inside during the winter. That is a prescription for gardenia disaster. Planted outdoors, the gardenia should thrive in your climate. Consult your county extension office for information on cultivating gardenias outdoors, or take a look on the Internet for such information. You will find state extension service publications online. I think Clemson University has a good online publication on gardenias. Type in the search term GARDENIAS CLEMSON in the Google Search Box, and see what comes up.

• User
    13 years ago

Vettekid,
    I am not great at growing gardenias in a house, although I have managed to keep them alive indoors for the winter, I do much better with mine outside.
    I do know that gardenias set their buds for the following season in August, so don't trim the gardenia now.
    Mabey fertilizing it with half strength Miracid every couple of weeks will help with the foliage and blooms.
    I would try that, just don't use it full strength.
    What a wonderful thing to have a gardenia for that long in pot.
    Good Luck!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus