Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I root a Butterfly Bush?

Posted by butterfly4u 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 12 at 18:52

Can I cut off pieces and just stick them in water?
Would I have better luck in the ground with something plastic on top of them?
I want to root some now while the weather is still nice and warm.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I root a Butterfly Bush?

You'd probably get a lot better results from traditional cutting propagation methods than from water. The subject has been covered numerous times in the Plant Propagation Forum, so instead of rehashing, I'll just provide the link from the search results below.

BTW, non-sterile types of Buddleja/Buddleia are an environmentally-damaging pest-plant in many areas, so check with your appropriate local agency to determine if this plant is an invasive in your area. If it is, there are sterile cultivars that you could safely use without harming your area's ecosystem. The sterile cultivars have been mentioned in this forum at least a few times and should be easily found with a search of this forum or from a quick Google search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search of Plant Propagation Forum for Butterfly Bush

o

Thanks Brandon,
That link was awesome! It had great pics!
I'm propagating a sterile form.

o

Many of the sterile forms are patented plants.......and therefore restricted from propagation unless licensed. I'd look for the cultivar 'Asian Moon', a sterile form developed by the University of Arkansas and not patented.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here