Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these Privet Dying?

Posted by zooba72 Zone 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 19:01

I planted approximately 100 privet as perimeter hedge. They were planted in two batches, Novembe 2011, and May 2012. About four from the initial planting are showing signs of yellowing and I'm concerned. Can anyone comment on whether this looks like lack of Nitrogen, lack of water, or something like a honey fungus? The latter would be a disaster. I posted a few pictures:

http://s1146.photobucket.com/albums/o530/zooba72/?action=view¤t=IMG00041-20120903-1402.jpg

Most of the hedge looks good. These four happen to be very close to a Maple tree and did have some arborist wood chips as mulch. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these Privet Dying?

Depending where you are, I'd suspect lack of water before anything else, given the heat and drought much of the country has experienced. And even more especially given the situation with the maple. Native maples tend to have very greedy root systems and it is often very difficult to establish anything in their immediate vicinity.

What is that yellowish looking substance on the ground in the third photo?

o
RE: Are these Privet Dying?

That's probably Bone Meal ... I added a little sprinkle to each of the four.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here