Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1822betty

Spirea Japonica vs. Weigela Florida

Betty Levar
9 years ago

I am looking to plant a shrub. This spot will get afternoon sun in zone 6. Pros and Cons are welcome. If anyone has any other suggestions to other shrubs I am open to it. Thanks for your help.

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

you might get other suggestions... or even info on these plants... if you tell us your goals ... or any info.. other than sun ...

how big is the spot... how close to the house.. how tall you want/need... soil issues if any .. etc ..

some spirea stay small .. some huge.. same with the Ws .... neither should be within 8 feet of the house.. unless a dwarf variety .... etc ...

if you really want to discuss specifics.. a pic of the spot will help ... along with info on other parameters ...

ken

• Betty Levar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The area would be in front of my privacy fence. It is a large space not surrounded by anything other than the fence on the back. At the present time I have hosta's planted there because I had two large cedar trees there originally that were taken down last year. These hosta's are crisp from the sun so I was looking to replace them with some type of shrub that could take the afternoon sun. Height and width wouldn't be an issue. I am wondering if the above would be suitable or if someone has a better suggestion. Thanks

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Taste is quite personal, so I'd suggest that you find a demo garden at an arboretum, garden center, etc and look to see what appeals to you. You can take photos of plants and post here or on the name that plant forum for IDs if they aren't labeled.
    What are the dimensions of the space?
    Do you want one or many shrubs?
    If more than one, do you want all the same kind or a mix?
    Do you want perennials along with the shrub(s)?
    Do you want it to look good year round or only in the growing season?
    Do you want to hide the fence?
    Do you have a height in mind?
    How wide are you willing to go?

About your particular requests:
    I find that most spireas seed more than I like, and except for S. 'Ogon' which has a fountain form, white flowers, and fine gold foliage, spireas either have color combos I don't like (pink and gold) or too short a season of interest when they are blooming.
    The white variegated varieties of weigelas will burn in afternoon sun IME, but there is a gold and green variegated weigela with red flowers I like for its long season of interest. The plain green ones will be just green blobs except for a month of bloom late spring.

Some other shrubs to check out include
    many Viburnums which have spring flowers, summer berries and fall color
    blueberries which have the same three seasons of interest
    Hydrangea paniculatas such as Limelight, Quickfire, or Vanilla Strawberry for a several month summer and fall bloom season (my Quickfire looks great from early July until mid-October)
    Fothergilla with late spring flowers and spectacular fall color

Here are some photos of a mixed shrub and perennial border I made that's about 15 x 60 feet. My goals were four season interest, tall enough to block the messy work area behind it, but not so tall as to shade the solar panels, and no fussy plants. It's in full sun in fine sandy loam soil and is a mix of deciduous and evergreen shrubs, bulbs, and perennials.
    Spring
    {{gwi:278651}}From 2013

Summer
    {{gwi:278653}}From 2013

{{gwi:278655}}From 2013

Fall
    {{gwi:278657}}From 2013

Winter several years ago.
    {{gwi:278658}}From December 2010

So it all depends on your goals, how large a space you want to fill, and how much work you want to do.