Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeowner_2009

Lilacs turning brown & white powdery spots

newhomeowner-2009
11 years ago

I wasn't sure what was the appropriate forum to post on this problem, so I did so in the "Fragrant" forum at http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fragrant/msg0910552211518.html

I just wanted to alert people to that post, in case anyone has any suggestions.

Comments (12)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

What are you going to do after they eat the steps?

• newhomeowner-2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Eat the steps?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

it looks fine.. ignore it ...

its fall.. it is not a time to waste nor use chems on a plant that will drop its leaves soon ...

yes.. it will eat those steps ... it is planted about 8 feet too close to the house ... and you will eventually have painting problems..

it needs to be moved.. at the proper time for your area ... either fall.. after the leaves fall off.. or perhaps winter in your area.. or spring ....

even if it is a dwarf.. its still too close ... a dwarf of a 10 footer.. can easily be 4 to 5 feet.. given the years ...

ken

this is a pic of a 10 year old lilac that needs rejuvenation pruning.. it is about 10 feet tall ... same wide .
    {{gwi:244660}}

in this pic.. the lilacs are on each side ... one 8 feet tall .... the other 10 ...
    {{gwi:244658}}

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

Trying to tell you that your lilacs are planted much much too close to the steps. Lilacs get big - even the dwarf varieties. Leave them alone this season and move them farther out in the spring to a spot where they can grow normally.

It is September and most of the country has experienced some drought - the white spots look like any end of the season leaf spots and not any kind of fungus.

• newhomeowner-2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. New at this. How far from the house should these be planted?

11 years ago

If they are Syringa vulgaris (my best guess), they belong in the middle of the lawn somewhere. Once established, they will spread out like the ripples from a pebble dropped in a pond, until they hit some sort of barrier. The usual barrier is a lawnmower blade. If there is a concrete floor behind that lattice, you could try putting them 4-5 ft away. If there isn't (and there usually isn't) eventually the lilac suckers will start growing behind the lattice, causing destruction.

If you really want lilacs there, go for one of the shrubby ones that doesn't run.

• newhomeowner-2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, both are vulgaris - Ludwig Spaeth Lilacs. Behind the latticework at the smaller plant is a passage under the porch, paved with bluestone:

{{gwi:278662}}

Behind the latticework at the taller plant, the one near the steps with the browning leaves, is a concrete area, though I'm not sure if it's solid. Probably not (I've just owned the house for a few years).

{{gwi:278663}}

Do you think 4-5 feet from the lattice would be enough for these lilacs?

A landscape guy suggested that I plant there in place of two rose bushes that didn't do well. But he didn't tell me how far from the house to plant them!

• newhomeowner-2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In fact, now that you mention it, right there on the plant label is says "twelve feet tall and nine feet wide"! I guess it's a blessing in disguise that I posted about this unimportant leaf issue, as it brought to the fore that I planted 'em too close to the house. The question is, how close would be OK? Thanks again.

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

My syringa vulgaris are mature at @15'x15'.

You're asking, but not reading... and take this for what it's worth in the way it's intended - 4-5' from the lattice is fine if you're going to sell and move in a few years and don't care what you leave for the next owner to deal with.

If you're going to stay in the house and enjoy the beauty of the lilacs for the long haul, plant them in the middle of the yard.

In other words, give them a sunny location with SPACE away from the lattice or any other part of the house.

• newhomeowner-2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I read you. I guess the next question is how far a lilac needs to be from the pipe leading from the house to the septic system. thanx.

11 years ago

Far enough that if have to dig up the pipe, you aren't digging through lilac to do it.

The pipe should be a sealed system, so nothing is going to get into it. If it isn't properly sealed, you are going to have problems with tree roots no matter what you do with shrubs.

• wally2007
    10 years ago

I recently had to do a serious pruning of a white lilac. Half way through the summer I noticed the leaves starting to curl and discolor, so I opted to eliminate the disease or what ever. I had to cut in down to about a two feet from the ground to three remaining branches. Will someone kindly advise me on this matter on when and what to apply to possibly bring this beauty back.