Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownthumb65

Fertilizer For Wax Myrtle

brownthumb65
14 years ago

Hi!

I planted my shrubs about 4 months ago. Since then I was told I was watering too much because the leaves were getting disfigured and brown patches. I have cut back my watering and everything seems to be looking better. I was just wondering if I can give them a fertilizer to give them a boost? (I really need that privacy hedge going) They are about 2 feet tall, almost 2.5 feet.

I know that a fertilizer WITHOUT nitrogen is recommended since the Wax Myrtles fix nitrogen in the soil, but what kind of fertilizer should I use?

I live in zone 8B and my soil is fast draining sandy.

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• duluthinbloomz4
    14 years ago

I wouldn't fertilize already stressed shrubs, especially if just cutting back on the watering started to improve the conditions.

It's best to avoid fertilizing when trees and shrubs are newly planted (their first growing season) and when they are not healthy - or perhaps even stressed from overwatering, as in your case.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

It's a common gardening myth that fertilizing somehow gives plants a 'boost" or makes then grow faster. It really does not work that way and plants that seem to respond to fertilizing by pushing rapid, lush growth are actually at greater risk for insect issues, many disease organisms and cold weather damage. They also require more frequent watering in hot, dry weather. Fast growth does not necessarily equal desirable growth :-)

Before any fertilizing it is a good idea to have a soil test done to determine if it is deficient in any way. Alternately, are the plants showing signs of nutrient imbalance (other than perhaps not growing as fast as we'd like)? - like off-colored foliage, deformed or stunted new growth, general poor appearance. If not, it is likely the plants are able to access all the nutrients from the soil they require.......providing more is not going to help and can hurt.

FWIW, 4 months is not very long in the garden and I'd be surprised to see much growth on these new shrubs. Typically, new additions to the landscape take time to settle in, get established and develop a healthy root system before putting out much top growth.....anywhere from 1-2 growing seasons, sometimes longer.

In all things gardening, patience is a virtue :-)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Same as with medical issues results of cures undertaken depends on what, exactly the problem is and if the treatment used addresses that particular difficulty. Just as some people may need vitamins or other infusions and others may not, a shrub or tree may or may not need fertilizer - at planting time or later. There is no benefit to withholding fertilizer from a newly planted specimen that will be subjected to a nutrient deficiency as soon as it experiences the conditions on the new planting site.

• brownthumb65
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok bboy, with the Wax Myrtles being native plants what fertilizer would you use since they say to use a fertilizer withOUT nitrogen?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Since they are native plants and well-adapted to growing without any fertilizing except what occurs from nature ( usually just a 'mulch' of some sort of organic matter or plant debris), any supplemental fertilizing is very likely NOT necessary. The issue may possibly arise when planted in a landscape that has soil that has been altered or amended so that the natural balance and diversity of plant nutrients has been disturbed. Again, in this case, test first then supply what may be lacking, if anything.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

What, if anything that needs to be applied depends on the mineral content of the individual planting site.

Different plants, including trees and shrubs are adapted to different soil nutrient regimes. This is so consistent in nature that it can be used, along with other attributes to judge the conditions of a naturally vegetated site. One ranking system I have seen used is based on amounts of nitrogen: low, medium, and high. Each species native to the region treated and included in the guide was designated as indicating a low, medium or high nitrogen soil by its presence. All manner of plants included species that might belong to any of these soil nitrogen level categories; high soil fertility requirements were not limited to herbaceous plants.

• brownthumb65
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! Thanks! I guess I better take a soil sample and have it checked out.

• schmoo
    14 years ago

From what I have seen, Wax Myrtle is very adaptable to a wide variety of soil type/conditions. I planted a plant years ago, in the Piedmont area of North Carolina...landscaped area (old soil, untouched or altered), no supplemental fertilizer..never looked liked it needed anything. Not much was supplied by "recycled nutrients" (nieghbor plants) and landscape fertilizer was never applied.
    Planted it, got established and within 2-3 years suckers were coming up and I was just trying to keep it in check.

Schmoo

• User
    14 years ago

Brownthumb,
    I know exactly how you feel about wanting it to grow fast for privacy.
    I am in the exactly same situation that you are in, and it is hard to just water it every week if there is no rain at all.
    My little shrubs have grown mabey a foot and a half, but they are getting fuller too.
    Next year you should see a big change in the growth, it will pick up.
    It's hard to be patient sometimes, especailly when I watch the kids on the trampoline staring at me.
    Oh, well, this too shall pass. LOL

• brownthumb65
    Original Author
    14 years ago

butterfly4u, that is funny because my neighbors also have kids on a trampoline. I am praying for the Wax Myrtles to grow faster in the Spring!!

• User
    13 years ago

Brownthumb65,
    I know this thread is from a year ago, but how are your wax myrtles growing as far as providing any privacy for you?
    Personally, I think their growth is highly overrated.
    Mine have grown mabey a foot or two, but one of them has grown much wider.
    No privacy yet.
    The trampoline is broken (thank God),so I don't have jumping eyes staring anymore. LOL.
    The wax myrtles are beautiful though, I must admit.
    No berries on either one, but they may be too young.
    I know there are wild ones in the neighborhood and was hoping for berries on one this year mabey.
    Does anyone know if they usually sell the males at the nurseries or the females? (I am hoping females).

• brownthumb65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello Butterfly4u!

You won't believe what I did. I pulled them all out of the ground and put some U-Posts in the ground (with cement "shhh" don't tell) and put up a double layer of reed fence!

I then proceeded to plant them on the other side of the house to block the view of the trailers over there. They were looking flimsy so I whacked them all the way to the ground back in January or February. I can't remember which.

I thought they would die since I put them through hell. I left them alone and they are looking really nice now. They are about 3 feet tall I think. I have not bothered them one bit. I put mulch down around them to keep the lawnmower guy and his weedwhacker henchman away. It's been raining off and on nicely so I have not had to water them at all.

My husband got deathly ill at the end of April and we almost lost him. He spent 34 days in the hospital due to kidney issues from enlarged prostate. He also had abdominal surgery on top of that due to adhesions. We have been through hell and high water but things are just now starting to get back to normalcy. He stills needs to gain his weight back and get back into shape but that will happen slowly but surely.

If I remember I would like to post the pictures of the reed fence I put up and the Wax Myrtles I replanted soon if you are interested.

Due to my husband being in the hospital I have not been able to any gardening whatsoever!!! I am going to do my best to get some fall or winter vegetables going.

Halime

• User
    13 years ago

Halime,
    I am so sorry to hear about your husbands health problem.
    I am also happy to hear that he is getting better.
    You have had alot on your mind other than gardening, so I appreciate you answering my question.
    I hope he continues to improve and feel better.
    Worrying can be sooo stressful, it can exhaust you.
    I don't blame you for putting that reed fence up.
    Instant privacy, no waiting for any shrubs to grow for years to have it.
    Now you gave me an idea to think about doing.
    I don't know if I could put it up, but I will look into it.
    I may be wrong, but I think if you put in a fall planting, it may be theraputic for you.
    I would like to see pics of your myrtles, but when you get the chance.
    I will try to post a pic of mine also.
    Take Care.

• brownthumb65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the reed fence I put up. It was VERY EASY to do without having an existing fence like they said I needed.

I bought the U-Posts, wire fencing, quick drying cement and a small shovel! Got a leveler I think it is called also to make sure they stayed straight. Got down on my hands and knees and started digging holes 18 inches deep. Poured in the quick drying cement and stuck the U-Posts in there. I put the posts in about every 4-5 feet because I wanted good support. Then after they dried (the next day to make sure) I attached the wire fencing to the posts. Then I put the reed fencing on the wire fencing (with plastic wire ties) and VIOLA!! At first I put up only one layer and decided to add one more layer on the other side because you can really see through those things.
    I impressed myself for being a 44 year old female!!

{{gwi:278730}}

{{gwi:278731}}

• brownthumb65
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are my babies. They are very tough plants. I had ripped them out of the ground and had to cut some deep tap roots!! Moved them from where the reed fence is to the other side of the house for privacy over there. I cut them all the way down about 6 months ago and they are growing very nicely. They are close together but I did that so no one would be running between them when they get big!! LOL

{{gwi:278732}}

{{gwi:278733}}

{{gwi:278735}}

{{gwi:278737}}