Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing winterberry runners

Posted by judyhi 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 24, 13 at 19:53

There is a nice tree-like winterberry in a bed that unfortunately is covered with cloth and river stone.(sigh!) There are many runners that need to be removed before they get even bigger. How do I do this without stimulating new growth?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing winterberry runners

Are you referring to Ilex verticillata? I've never seen one produce runners.

o

once a plant suckers... it is a lifetime battle.. no matter what the plant is ...

and that is usually what happens when you force a shrub.. into a tree form ... it battles you ...

at some point.. you just have to decide whether it has value considering the battle.. the old cost/benefit ratio ...

and many a plant that otherwise made me happy.. went to the great beyond due to such...

if you want an Id.. get us a pic.. or try the name that plant forum ...

ken

o

Thank you for responding so quickly. I guess I will be the "sucker" and keep it and put up with the hassle for now. As far as I know, nothing was done to it. It just grew this way, but I like it. If more pics are needed, I'll post another. Thanks for your interest.

o

Good looking specimen!

o

That's beautiful. Move something else and let the sucker sucker.

o

a bed that unfortunately is covered with cloth and river stone.(sigh!)

==>>>>

if you did that.. are you regretting it.. with every breath of your life ...

and if the prior owner did it.. dont you wish you could track them down.. and slap them silly ...

rock??.. fabric???? ... the absolute worst thing someone dreamed up for the garden ... i have had to remove such at every house i bought.... cant even stick a shovel in.. to do anything ... yuck ...

ken

o

• Posted by claire z6b Coastal MA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 14:17

post deleted

This post was edited by claire on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 17:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here