Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendyb_gw4

Disappointing Thuja Whipcord

WendyB 5A/MA
12 years ago

I dont' think I like this anymore. I wanted it so much at the time, but it's so underhwelming, especially the rear view where the cords have so much brown in them. It looks half dead. They have green on their tips so I don't want to snip them; It will look even wimpier than it does.

Is it a culture thing? or a Whipcord thing?

It is in full sun and gets reasonable watering. THis is its second location. Didn't like it where it was before either.

{{gwi:278835}}

{{gwi:278836}}

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

its a conifer.. there is a conifer forum.. i dont care where you post ...

first.. snip out all the dead ...

then.. quit moving it..

then .. give it about 3 years of GOOD watering.. rather than 'reasonable' watering ... trees need deep watering thru the root mass and then near drying ...

i THINK .. your basic problem.. is that as a conifer.. its a tree ... and its going to grow like a tree/conifer.. after transplant.. its going to take 2 to 3 years to really get rolling ....

it is not a annual/perennial.. that is going to go whole hog and be a specimen sized plant in a year or two ...

all that said.. if you dont like it... get rid of it.. be the master of your domain .. as they once said on Seinfeld ...

snip back any dead stuff.. to a live green bud .. even if you have to go all the way back to the trunk ....

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: this is its potential.. given enough time to get established ....

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Ken, I'm not sure the discolored wood is actually dead. With green tips, the stem is very much alive. Here's a close-up. A branch starts as silver-dead-grey then turns reddish-brown then has green growth at the tip.

{{gwi:278837}}

I think I will have to move it one more time. Its much too front and center the way it looks. I bought the variety with wheels, so its okay.

Do you think it would do better in a moist sunny spot? I have such a spot but it might be too moist in spring. I wonder if it needs more winter protection? That area is less sunny, but I have other marginals that are happy there. 4 or so hours sun.

12 years ago

just snip off the brown ENDS ..

trace them back to a 'Y' ... if one end goes green.. leave it ... if both are brown ... trace back to the previous Y ... etc ...

i dont understand why you want to move it again ... transplant shock is probably the number one diagnosis of the browning ... so do expect more browning if you move it again ...

on the other hand.. out of site.. out of mind.. lol ... might save its life ...

good luck

ken

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are no brown ENDs. all brown middles with green ends.

i dont understand why you want to move it again ...

Because it is ugly. I'm going with the outta sight outta mind approach.

Best spot would be ..... ?

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

I think it has a bug or blight problem. Anyway, if you don't like it, just get rid of it. It's not something precious.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, that's interesting. I think it has the potential to be a keeper. I will look into I&D issues.

12 years ago

i have lemonthread.. a yellow version of the same... but i dont have a pic of it ... which confuses me.. lol ...

mine started smaller than yours ... and took a number of years.. to fill in enough.. to basically become non-transparent ... meaning i could not see thru it ...

and once it achieved that.. it started to be really cool ...

being a conifer.. which are trees... it can take upwards of 3 years.. to get fully established.. and growing the way it should ... but every time you move it.. you set that clock back ...

so pick a spot.. and make it a permanent spot... and keep it properly watered for 2 years.. and then ignore it.. and come back in 3 to 5 years ...

or just get rid of it.. lol

ken

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Are you thinking of Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Lemon Thread'?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Since you got two looks at the roots (initial planting and the move), what did they look like? Are they white and sprawling or brown and knotted?

tj