Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scotch Broom Cuttings

Posted by semaje (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 20, 09 at 20:37

Ive been trying to root scotch broom cuttings... Is this even possible? Ive been putting root hormone on them I did some with heel cuts. And also, ive been doing them in a sand and peat moss mix...Is this a good media?

Thanks
James

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scotch Broom Cuttings

I've got some information to help you.

Dirr, Michael A and Heuser, Charles, Jr. The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation: From Seed to Tissue Culture; (Second Edition 2006); Varsity Press, Inc. ISBN: 0942375092 or ISBN: 13: 978-0-942375-09-1

"Cystis scoparius: July-August cuttings, 800 ppm IBA-solution or tale, well drained medium (root systems are often brittle), mist, root in the 70-90% range. Untreated cuttings of C. scoparius 'Dragonlady' rooted 35%; 70% with 8000 ppm IBA-talc. Cuttings can be rooted in greenhouse or outside beds. Rooting takes 4 to 5 weeks. Plants should be grown in continers since field grown material does not transplant easily."

My advice is to use "Clonex" or "Clonex Red." Clonex Red is a newer product but both should be sufficient. I just don't prefer talc rooting products.

Something else that's important in my opinion is a root-gel dip of Mycchoraize (sp?). I buy mine from Treehaven Evergreen Nursery/Hilltop Tree Farms. Someone on the Conifers Forum labled me as "snake oil" dummy. You should see the roots formed with this product alone when used for cutting propagation. A dip in this gel afterwards when you have your rooted plants, and either (potted) or into temporary nursery beds, is the difference between losing plants, and not. I've seen such success...

I have yet to use both as a single application so I cannot answer that but something tells me a dip in Clonex followed with a dip in that gel might be advantageous...

Use a 1" or 1/2" heel of semi-hardwood mainly and full heels of hardwood would also be acceptable for this time period. You should also for general purposes, stick, three softwood cuttings. Thuja occ. 'Spiralis' I found roots superior as softwoods during summer. Opposite of anything you would ever think......... Your mixture seems very good.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here