Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ians_gardener

Viburnums

There are a few of us (so far) that would like and also think it is time for a viburnum forum.......if you agree, please add your comments in the "Suggestions" forum......maybe, just maybe, they will grant our request.......

Thanks......

Comments (19)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

More forums doesn't always work...you need critical mass, participants, enough lurkers as well as posters (for the advertising to work, thus supporting a free forum for participants). My favorite subject is 'the winter garden' and there is a GW forum and it is moribund. I love viburnum and have many but doubt I would go to yet another forum....'shrubs' already is not that well traveled.
    You might want to start a Google Group if you have a crowd that is Viburnum-happy.
    Sorry I know that this is not what you want to hear!
    Sara

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well....that's ok....if that is how you feel about it....but there is a Salvia forum!....you can't convince me that salvia is more important of a plant than Viburnums......just look at some of the other forums......some are just as mondane and have very few posts....like the professional gardener forum...such an under used forum in my opinion.....
    I still strongly feel that viburnums are more than just a "shrub"

Ian

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Don't get me going on Salvia....I agree with you completely. It is just a question of how many others do! Five people can't make a forum...see if others respond that they'd participate. The fact that there are existing underused forums is likely a disincentive for GW to start another, unless they still receive lots of lookie-lu traffic.

Sara

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Believe it or not there is a larger mass of population that plants perrenials than decidious trees/shrubs and conifers combined.

Its a travesty but its just the way it is.

As a whole, Viburnums are by far the greatest deciduous shrub genus in the plant kingdom. Anyone that argues that is off their rocker. The unique array of forms, texture, cultivars, fall color, fruit and blooms is staggering.

However starting a separate viburnum forum is like going into the conifers forum and asking for a Pinus, Abies or Picea forum.

The majority of forums here in general are slow in my opinion.

What I'd rather have is SIMPLY a freaking link to shrubs in the trees section and vice versa. Its been asked about many times and continues to get ignored. Having the shrubs link in conifers is fine and dandy but needs to be in trees as well...its just so plain obvious.

Its more aggravating as its a 2 min change as I've done content management myself.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

I requested a Viburnums forum a couple days ago after Ian asked about it.

I've been coming in and out of GW for over ten years, and this last time I came back, I was surprised there had been no remodeling whatsoever. The webiste hasn't changed. The graphics are all the same, and there is still an achingly long and redundant forum list. It all needs a thorough housecleaning.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

"1990s software" is how one put it recently - maybe it was you. I don't know how they choose the forum themes, there is even a whole forum just for talking about lucky bamboo - yet no magnolias forum. If I was starting something like this from scratch I might look at which plants and related topics had entire membership organizations devoted to those and make those the forums - at least at first. Taking that approach there would have been a magnolia forum from the start, but maybe not a viburnum one - at least I don't remember seeing anything about a viburnum society at the moment. As mentioned, it should of course be determined by what gets enough response. I think they should actually consider closing forums that aren't getting much action, shrinking the list would make it easier to find the "good" ones.

• kpt951
    10 years ago

I'm a big viburnum fan as well! Am eagerly awaiting late Sept. so I can plant more. It's too hot for them to be shipped right now.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kpt951....I feel the same as you....Viburnums are the "cadillacs" of shrubs!!

Also, I sent an E mail to the admins of this website asking for a viburnum forum and they graciously sent back a reply (which I thought was impressive that I would get feed back)....anyway, they said that in the event that they restructure the forums lists, they would consider our request.....So there is a glimmer of hope anyway......

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

If you really love viburnums, you should check out the Classic Viburnums website. This is the preeminent grower! Their website offers so muchinformation, and you can even order flats of rooted cuttings. I met the owners at a garden-center open house about five years ago. they're wonderful people, completely dedicated to propogating and growing some incredible shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Viburnums

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

If you really love viburnums, you should check out the Classic Viburnums website. This is the preeminent grower! Their website offers so muchinformation, and you can even order flats of rooted cuttings. I met the owners at a garden-center open house about five years ago. they're wonderful people, completely dedicated to propogating and growing some incredible shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Viburnums

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a great website MulchMama.....thanks
    I really like viburnums, more so than many other shrubs....but I am limited to a few, since I have limited space...
    At the moment, I have a Viburnum plicatum 'Mariesii', a Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Summer Snowflake', a Viburnum lantana Mohican and a Chicago lustre Viburnum dentatum, (my favourite)......lost a Korean spice due to a borer that drilled into the trunk at ground level....going to have to replace that one....
    Anyway, I do have room for one more....do you have a favourite to recommend?....Viburnum sargentii Onondaga looks like a pretty cool one...what do you think about that one? I am in zone 5
    Cheers
    Ian

This post was edited by ians_gardener on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 14:13

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

You need some aroma in that mix :-)) Try a V. x juddii or x burkwoodii.

I grew an Onondaga in my old garden....loved the dark foliage color but maybe since it was in a rather confined space it grew up quite narrow and tall with the flowers all at the top of the plant. And I wouldn't consider a garden complete without some form of V. trilobum........one of the best for bird attraction and fall color.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Ian, isn't Maresii a thing of beauty? We have two. I have a Chicago Lustre, too, and being from Chicago, I have to say it is my favorite. I am now waiting for its gorgeous fall color to develop. It is already loaded with blue berries.

Let's see, what else...Burkwoods, loads of them; Koreanspice; Sarcoxie; Prague; Blue Muffin; Leatherleaf 'Allegheny'. Now I need to get some dentatums, the cranberry bush types.

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Ian, isn't Maresii a thing of beauty? We have two. I have a Chicago Lustre, too, and being from Chicago, I have to say it is my favorite. I am now waiting for its gorgeous fall color to develop. It is already loaded with blue berries.

Let's see, what else...Burkwoods, loads of them; Koreanspice; Sarcoxie; Prague; Blue Muffin; Leatherleaf 'Allegheny'. Now I need to get some dentatums, the cranberry bush types.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Agreed....Maresii is my favourite too....a close second is this Chicago lustre that I just planted to replace my Korean spice.....

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Ians, my Chicago looks just like that right now! And I forgot to mention we also have three Judds. That's a real beauty. Nothing bothers it, and in the springtime when it's blooming, I open up the kitchen windows where they grow, and I take in the gorgeous fragrance.

I won my Chicago Lustre in a raffle at a local garden center open house five years ago. It was an event featuring the people from Classic Viburnums, and it's one of theirs. Since you've just planted yours, you might be thrilled to see its fall color -- the color of a very fine wine!

• mulchmama
    10 years ago

Ians, my Chicago looks just like that right now! And I forgot to mention we also have three Judds. That's a real beauty. Nothing bothers it, and in the springtime when it's blooming, I open up the kitchen windows where they grow, and I take in the gorgeous fragrance.

I won my Chicago Lustre in a raffle at a local garden center open house five years ago. It was an event featuring the people from Classic Viburnums, and it's one of theirs. Since you've just planted yours, you might be thrilled to see its fall color -- the color of a very fine wine!

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey MulchMama .....I thought the berries were beauties, but now I can't wait for the fall colour.....thanks for the heads up....I think I will get a Juddii to replace my Korean spice....love the aroma.....

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

I'd visit a Viburnum forum. But I'm mostly interested in the Evergreen Viburnums.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz