Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa2004

Polination of winterberry bushs

lisa2004
10 years ago

I plan to plant a winterberry bush....I'd rather just plant a female than spend money on one each. I have a "Blue Prince" holly in my yard. Would it be able to polinate a winter berry, or are they two totally different things? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• akamainegrower
    10 years ago

It's possible that Blue Prince is capable of pollinating a Winter Berry, since one of the parents of the Blue Princess/Princess series is ilex verticillata, Winter Berry. Viable pollen is no guarentee, however. The timing is critical. The pollen must be available at the same time the female plant is receptive if you're going to get any berries. There are specific male Winter Berries recommended for each of the females.

I have resisted any comment on the idea that money is wasted on a male in the horticultural or any other realm.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if you dont or cant afford to do both.. why bother with one???

plant a female.. and find out ... and in a few years.. you either get rid of her... [aka divest] ... or go buy daddy [aka invest further] ...

this is usually one reason.. for me.. to simply cross things off my list ... i am a collector.. one of most anything is enough for me... having to buy 2.. a boy and a girl.. that look exactly the same.. usually sends me looking at other things...

ken

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Around here, people don't usually bother with the males since there are enough wild ones.

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, it's not that I can't afford to do both, I'd just prefer not to spend money unnecessarily. I only want the bush for the berries, so I don't want to buy a male if I don't need to. I think I will take everyones advice and plant one female and see what happens. If necessary, I'll get that male later on.

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken, it's not that I can't afford to do both, I'd just prefer not to spend money unnecessarily. I only want the bush for the berries, so I don't want to buy a male if I don't need to. I think I will take everyones advice and plant one female and see what happens. If necessary, I'll get that male later on.

• sam_md
    10 years ago

since one of the parents of the Blue Princess/Princess series is Ilex verticillata
    Can someone explain that statement to me?

• akamainegrower
    10 years ago

The statement is incorrect. The ilex x meserveae hollies which include Blue Prince and Blue Princess are hybrids of three other species. Ilex verticillata - winter berry - is not, however, one of them. There is no chance, therefore, that Blue Prince can pollinate a winter berry.

The standard male winter berries for pollination are Southern Gentleman, Jim Dandy and perhaps a few others. The window for pollination is about a week, so timing is important.

Apologies for posting erroneous information.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!