Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID this shrub please?

Posted by chueh 7b GA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 22:03

We have had this type of shrub ever since we bought house. I kept trimming them down to prevent blocking the windows too much.

How big would this shrub grow if I don't trim it?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID this shrub please?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 10:55

Looks like Ternstroemia gymnanthera. This is not a low shrub.

o

get rid of them.. or move them out where they have enough space ...

they are planted way too close to the foundation ...

pick something and plant them.. so that they will allow at least 2 feet .. at maturity ... from contact with the house ...

the cute babes were planted in the center of a bed... with no expectation of them actually growing into what they are ... they gotta be moved out of that place ... IMHO

and most likely.. right under the window.. i would favor perennials.. rather than a shrub .... its hard to tell.. but it looks like there is only a foot or two.. between the soil level and the window bottom ...

ken

o

Thanks

Bboy, yes, they look exactly like ternstroemia gymnanthera or ternstroemia gymnanthera cleyera as you stated, after I checked the images in google. However, this type shrub flowers and bears berries. I have had 5 shrubs but never seen them flowering or fruiting. I read some descriptions of ternstroemia gymnanthera cleyera; they are zone 7-10. Mine don't flower, perhaps due to its hardy tolerance???

I am not worried about them flower or not but just curious and want to find out what they are.

o

Yours may not flower if you are having to keep pruning it - you could be pruning off the flower buds!

o

Japanese Cleyera (Terstroemia gymnanthera) can grow quite tall and fairly quickly in the South. Guessing around 10 to 15 feet (or more?) depending on culture.

Up here in Mid-Atlantic zone 7a they don't grow as quickly. Mine are blooming and bearing sort of pendulous fruit capsules. Interesting, but not really ornamental.

You could keep the ones on either side of the window and relocate the ones that interfere. Or maybe just keep one on the corner.

If you want year-round curb appeal for this side of the house, I'd not choose perrenials, unless they were evergreen. I'd go for something like a low pittosporum, ardisia, yaupon, carrisa holly, pachysandra, or something to that effect, depending on exposure.

o

look to last years pruning.. and then you know exactly how much it grew this year ..

on an established plant.. that is its ANNUAL GROWTH RATE.. in your garden ...

it will NEVER grow less...

and basically will NEVER STOP GROWING..

shrubs dont hit some magic height .. and magically stop growing...

remove them ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here