Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edbarnes_gw

Ilex Opaca (American Holly) Question?

edbarnes
10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Can Ilex Opaca be maintained as a shrub approximately 15' x 8' (Height x Width)? My local nursery (Long Island, NY) has said that although this variety can reach 40' in height, it can be maintained as a shrub with some regular pruning. I certainly don't mind doing the work as long as the shrub/tree will respond well to it. Has anyone successfully done this?

I was planning on planting several of these American Holly as part of a mixed evergreen privacy hedge along my property border. One of the reasons I chose to include this variety of Ilex is because of it's reputation for deer resistance.

Thank you ... Sorry if this is a duplicate post.

Comments (9)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

It can if you have a bucket truck. The practicalities of pruning something 15 ft in the air aren't exactly trivial.

• edbarnes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a long shaft articulating hedge trimmer and ladder, so maybe it will be like 12' or something like that. I just don't want it to be 40'.

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    10 years ago

Yaupon Holly (ilex vomitoria) is also highly deer resistant, evergreen, and native to Long Island. It is also a small tree that won't require the level of maintenance and pruning that you will eventually need for American Holly.

On the flip side, you'll have probably sold the house and moved before American Holly gets to 40'.

• edbarnes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I had investigated all of the Ilex that are native to Long Island, but I'm not familiar with that variety. I noticed a couple of comments on other sites stating that it's not cold hardy.... but I do see it's classified in zone 7. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll investigate.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Yaupon is borderline in upper zone 7. Some cold years it can freeze back. I do not believe it is native to Long Island, but I could be wrong.

Goodness, for zone 7 there are SO very many hollies that are better looking than American Holly.

Fosters #2 is nice, fast, good berries. Smaller leafed.

Nellie Stevens is the default holly planted here. Takes shearing very well, but does get TALL.

Look into 'Mary Nell'. Incredible leaf gloss and BERRIES, oh so many berries most years.

'Blue Maid' is a nice very hardy blue holly which grows slowly to 12 feet. It takes its time and will not need much pruning.

Castle Wall is a very upright grower. (another Blue Holly).

Chindo Viburnum might be worth looking into, if it's hardy in your area. Fast grower, very glossy, no spines.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 9:43

• edbarnes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree there are a lot varities of Ilex that I would be prefer to grow, but many are not deer resistant. In fact, deer have devastated most varieties around here. The only one that I hear might be tollerant is dragon lady which is pretty narrow. American holly is one of the few that has been consistently safe. If anyone has other suggestions on deer resistant holly, I would be interested. Thanks

• river_city
    10 years ago

I maintain my Ilex Opaca at about this height (15'), but it grows in a "T" shape.

• edbarnes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting, I've never seen one with a T shape ... I actually went to the nursery to purchase the Holly yesterday and after an explanation of what I was doing, they talked me out of using them in that location. So, I'm now considering using a smaller variety of the Colorado Blue Spruce called Baby Blue. Supposed to get to about 20' H & 8' W .... We'll see. Thanks