Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sand cherry not thriving, how and when to transplant

Posted by tvrolyk z5 NorthIL (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 07 at 23:20

As the title indicates I have a sand cherry that is in shade and not thriving. It blooms in the spring and continues to grow every so slowly but I would like to see it do much beter. So I am planning on moving it to a sunny spot. I was wondering when would be the best time and what would be the best method to transplant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sand cherry not thriving, how and when to transplant

Mid to late October would be a good time. Around here, you can safely transplant shrubs into late November.

o
RE: Sand cherry not thriving, how and when to transplant

agree.. when the deciduous trees loss their leaves.. or change color... any time in October ... in my zone 5 ... this allows two cool seasons for root growth .. before the heat of next summer....

or .. in spring.. as soon as the ground thaws ...

you are responsible for all water next year .... water deeply and infrequently ... to get water down to the roots you disturbed.... mulch well ...

good luck

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here