Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
svtterminator

Purple plum growing sideways

svtterminator
9 years ago

First off just wanted to point out the amazing growth rate of this shrub. It was about a foot tall last year and I relocated it in September after planting it last spring. Now it's about 5 feet and huge considering it's spread.

Question is should I stake the tallest stem?

I want it to grow upright versus how the picture looks.

If pruning is my best option when should I prune in zone 5?

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

maybe i havent had enough coffee ... but i have never seen a cut leaf plum ... on this pic.. it looks more like a Jap Maple ... could we have a closer pic for ID ... unless you are positive ... as i said.. its early ....

regardless... i think its a tree ... and we would use tree pruning rules.. rather than shrub pruning rules... if it is IDd as a tree ...

listen termy .. you already are quite aware of its growth potential ... all the bells and whistles should be going off.. on the realization.. that this is an aggressive grower ... and is planted about 5 to 10 feet TOO CLOSE to the house ...

after Id.. i would probably move it again .. and when you do.. you can plant it a bit sideways in the hole .. and straighten the leader you wish to become dominant ... and then start pruning the others away ... over the next few years ...

if.. on the other hand.. it is a shrub.. you can start rejuvenation pruning .. and gain your wishes thru that method ... google that term ....

z5 is incredibly large and diverse ... where are you ... and if you add big city.. next to 5 .. next to your name above.. we wont keep asking .... its somewhere on your members page ...

better pic????

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

It's a cut leaf elder, not a purple plum. As such it's a shrub and is growing normally for this species. It looks absolutely fine. You can cut stems to the ground if you think they are too tall but don't shear it or it will end up ugly and twiggy. . If you want a tree there I'd plant something else or try to love it as it is. However, it's potentially a large shrub and under a window against a white wall is not optimal positioning Elders CAN grow into trees but it takes years and they are always gnarled and characterful, never neat lolly pops.

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops that was a huge mistake on my part. It's a leaf elder ! I have 3 purple purple plums planted in my front yard and confused the 2.

Thanks for the advice. This shrub is in a corner fenced in area so I'm fine with it being close to the house. Its in an area rarely seen by the general public. I read it only grows to 8 feet max.

I'll prune it a bit once it's dormant. This plant has thrived since its in majority shade rather than when I had it in full sun.

Ken good point about zome 5 being large. I'll update the city (Chicago)

• emerogork
    9 years ago

It looks like it is too close to the house. I would move it further out and also correct the posture at the same time by replanting it at a better angle.

If you are not going to move it, then I would cut selected branches from the base or near the main stem to remove the growth to one side. I do this with many bushes and recently a large maple tree. Growth on the south side is normal as it is reaching for the sun.

Do not "round it" by trimming the edges.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Planting it at a 'better angle' will not have any effect. It is growing naturally and if planted at a different angle will just right itself again and carry on as it wishes. Pruning, on the other hand, could even it up. I agree it's too close to the house. That will cause it to grow outwards and weakly due to no light on one side.

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much. When is the best time to transplant? Or prune it? I'm extremely new to pruning. Should I prune when all leaves are gone?

• emerogork
    9 years ago

For cold winter climates, never prune or trim in the fall as you will stimulate new growth that will die in the winter freeze and possibly kill the plant. I trim in the late winter or early spring when the plant is dormant.

Trim off dead wood any time. Trim until you see green beneath the bark. When possible cut at the joints to help the tree heal. Cutting mid branch will take longer to heal and may invite insects or disease.

Transplanting is similar. Never in the hot summer or fall for the same reasons. Other times,transplant only if you have to and take chances.

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent thanks Emerogork

• emerogork
    9 years ago

I have been very successful in reposturing plants by transplanting them. Granted, if you correct it and not change anything else that is affecting the growth, it may simply grow in the same pattern but that may take quite a while with some plants.

If you turn it 180 degrees around, then the old growth will be pointed out the opposite side and the direction in which it was growing will get new growth and balance the plant eventually.

I had a Tinkerbell lilac that was growing strongly on an angle reaching for sunlight from shade. After trimming back the shade, I dug it up and replanted it almost in the same place but with the branches standing up and the root ball on about 45 degrees from its original orientation. It is going on 5 years now and it has been happy ever since.

I had a Mountain Laurel that was starting to block a walkway. Rather than cutting it back, since it is such a slow grower, I rotated it. It too is very happy as am I.

One more, I have a white azalea that was only one long circling branch. I replanted in back of a red azalea and now I have the red in back and the white reaching around to the front. They have been happy for 20 years now.

OTOH, If you don't turn it then, in the spring, I would chop the major limbs that are out of balance.

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I moved my elder leaf a few weeks ago but didnt prune it as I was afraid the transplant with the pruning would do too much damage.

I moved it away from the house. It's growing fine but I can prune now or just wait until fall? The picture is from a week and half ago. I mulched it recently.

• svtterminator
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks...hmm I suppose I can move it according to heavy downpour versus light rain. But that procedure could become a nuisance. Does the elder leaf not too well too much water?

• Embothrium
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Seasonal growth of cold climate adapted plants such as this elder is regulated by natural factors such as day length and night temperatures - fall pruning (or fertilization) is simply not going to cause an otherwise hardy shrub to go all sappy and tender, die when hard frost comes.