Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zooba72

Question on Fall Planting?

zooba72
10 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on planting in the fall. I've always been told that spring and fall are the best times to plant, however I've been getting some conflicting information about planting ilex and laurel. Can anyone provide some information on whether it's safe to plant the following shrubs during September/October in Zone 7 (Long Island)?

Ilex Opeca
Schip Laurel (Cherry Laurel)
Mountain Laurel

Or do I need to wait until Spring? Thank you!

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Do it in fall. Too cold for fall planting starts with Zone 5.

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

Roots will grow until the soil freezes and drought is not a threat in Fall. However, sweeping freezing winds will damage these plants in Winter, especially in Sun. I notice some people spray something or wrap the plants. Cannot be bothered. Despite these challenges, Fall planting still seems best for me.

• zooba72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. That's what I was hoping to hear. Thx

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

drought is not a threat in Fall.

==>>> it is a threat in fall ... but the odds are low ...

too often.. peeps put away the hose in early october.. when the leaves fall off ...

but for me in MI.. ground freeze is 1/1 or so ... and thats a long time for the soil to POTENTIALLY dry ... especially in my sand...

with cold nights and low sun ... it usually wont happen..

but that should NOT stop you from checking every few weeks .. to insure that the soil stays moist ..

and as i understand... from posts here.. that is very important in non-ground freeze areas ...

NEVER PRESUME... insert finger ...

ken

ps: i like to say.. in ground freeze MI ... winter is technically a desert ... because the water is tied up in frozen form .... things are technically in suspended animation ... which makes it OK ... but you still have to think about moisture...

• ericwi
    10 years ago

I have had success transplanting blueberry shrubs in the fall, between September 15 and October 15. We live in Madison, Wisconsin. I like to plant in the afternoon or evening, and I am careful to keep the roots damp. I also water in immediately. Planting when the sun is low gives the roots a chance to begin working before the leaves are exposed to full sun, on the following day.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Here in zone 6a, I want to move a number of shrubs. Normally I wouldn't hesitate to plant potted shrubs that I purchase even in November, but digging up a shrub
    and moving it, is it a good time to do that this month?

I always thought waiting for trees and shrubs to be dormant before moving was the best time. Is that right? How do I know if it is dormant?

• zooba72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm definitely not the expert, but I was always told to transplant trees when they are dormant. I'm actually going to be moving a couple of Red Maples this year and plan on doing that sometime in November. I'm in zone 7.... It might also depend on the type of tree. Hopefully someone else can provide more information for you.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Thanks zooba, I'm not going to move a tree, thankfully, what a job that would be! Just a few small shrubs. Good luck with your Red Maple moves!