Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help In Identification.

Posted by brownthumb65 8B (netflix87@live.com) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 23:58

Hi All,

I don't have a digital camera but please copy and paste this link and this is what I just bought.

http://www.bustaniplantfarm.com/images/products/Acalypha-wilkesiana-madi-gras.JPG

It is about 3 feet tall now and 1.5 ft wide It is so different that I just had to buy it!

I have searched the internet and it seems like everyone has a different name for this plant. It is listed as a: Acalypha wilkesiana 'Mardi Gras' aka. 'Cypress Elf'...Copperleaf.....Acalypha 'Firestorm'
Acalypha godseffiana.....Inferno.... Macafeana

Why such problems with the naming of this plant? Why so many discrepancies?

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help In Identification.

I don't think they are referring to exactly the same plant :-) There are numerous cultivars of Acalypha wilkesiana that have slightly different coloring, leaf shape or size......'Mardi Gras' is just one. Think of coleus - 100's of different cultivars, sometimes with only a slight variation in colors or leaf shape, but distinctly different varieties nonetheless.

btw, 'Godseffiana', 'Inferno', Firestorm' and 'Macafeena' are all separate cultivars of A. wilkesiana, each with a somewhat different appearance. Copperleaf, Jacob's Coat, beefsteak plant, chenille plant are all common names (or nicknames) for various species of Alcalypha. The real confusion - and it is slight - is that 'Mardi Gras' is also sometimes referred to as 'Cypress Elf', as Cypress Gardens, FL was where the plant was discovered and it entered the trade under that name.

You do realize this plant will not be hardy for you......it is a tropical plant sold as an annual for seasonal foliage color and requires a totally frost-free evironment to survive. Zone 10 or above.

o

Thanks again! Why would these places sell tropical plants when we are not in a tropical zone? Just to make money off unsuspecting customers? Grrr!

o

No, nurseries sell plants and expect customers to be knowledgeable enough to know if something is hardy enough to survive in their gardens based on the information they supply and the customer's growing zone. The first thing I do when I see a plant is to find out its growing requirements and hardiness zone--easily enough done in this day and age with the aid of Google or other online resources.

Another point of view is that there are many people who grow tropicals and treat them as annuals or who have greenhouses/cold houses/etc. where the plants can be stored over the winter. I have done this several times in the past with plants which are not hardy in my zone.

o

AHHHHH! Thanks nckvilledudes! Good ideas!

o

All manner of tropical and subtropical plants are sold in nurseries and elsewhere all the time. In many cases, these are plants that are marketed or treated as annuals or single season plants, even though their life cycle under natural, native growing conditions would be much longer. And too, many are sold as houseplants, with the intent that these be grown indoors -- at least during colder weather -- in less suitable climates. Just as Miguel described :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here