Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peru1285

Freeway shrubs or trees

peru1285
13 years ago

There are more and more evergreen bushes, that can grow quit tall, along the freeways in Ohio. Recently went to Ky. and there are a lot more of them down there. I would like to know the name of these plants (my kids use to call them "fuzzy duds").

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

in MI a vast majority of the bird planted conifers are eastern red cedar ... which is invasive in some places.. and native in others ...

check the link.. look familiar??

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

The only two states, that I am aware of, where Juniperus virginiana (Eastern Redcedar) has been reported as invasive is Oregon and Hawaii. It is native to most of the eastern half of the US.

I bet Ken is right about the identity. I'm pretty sure they are the most common evergreen tree along the interstates in KY. Locals call them "cedar trees", although they are not really cedars at all.

13 years ago

hey brandon ..

i figured you would bite on this one..lol

i think it simply falls to the definition of invasive...

you are using the proper botanical definition of invasive .....'

i am not .. simply using the observation that they cover hundreds of miles of snow plow abused salt covered roadways..

and the 50 or 60 per year i have to remove from my garden ...

anything that is that aggressive.. should be called invasive.. even if they have been doing it since time immemorial ....

regardless.. have a great day

ken

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Well, by that definition, invasiveness would be a very good thing. It would mean that a plant was both very hardy/healthy/adaptable (because it apparently grows so well and in various conditions) and NOT harmful to the environment (it's a native).

I have seen this definition used, but not often by serious gardeners and practically never by the professional nursery industry, scientists, researchers, etc. Words often have more than one definition, but using this secondary definition for this word seems to me to greatly diminish the effectiveness of the primary definition. Just my 1 1/2 cents....

• peru1285
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info. The first picture you sent is exactly what I was talking about. In one spot in Ky. they were so thick you couldn't walk between them I'm sure and went on for miles. One of the replies said that people in Ky. call them "cedar trees", but they really aren't cedar at all. Yet the name of them is "Eastern red cedar". Why are they called "red" cedar when they aren't red at all?

Thanks.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

The heartwood is redish. That's where the "red" part of the name comes from. If you've seen a cedar chest or cedar closet (mostly in older homes), you'll know what I mean.

13 years ago

in the Law... it is called a 'term of art' ....

and the definition is not to be dumbed down as i am doing it..

so brandon is absolutely right in his use ...

BUT... and there is always a BIG BUT .... i would not recommend anyone planting this thing ... if for no other reason ... you can do so much better

ken