Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
viburnum leaves with dark red spots and dropping off

Posted by doctormom06 north carolina (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 16, 08 at 1:04

I moved into new home that has 2 viburnum planted on side of house that gets partial sun. One has 50% leaves with red spots on them and alot of leaves have fallen off. The other one looks better but still with red spots. A local garden center recommended I spray with fungicide which I have done every 10 days for the past month and the leaves look no better. Any ideas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: viburnum leaves with dark red spots and dropping off

What kind of viburnum is this, do you know? Most viburnums will lose their leaves in the fall anyway. If this is one of those, be sure to gather up the fallen leaves to avoid spreading any disease to the new foliage next year.

o
RE: viburnum leaves with dark red spots and dropping off

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 14:53

Spraying with fungicides will not cure the fungus once it is already there. Fungicides prevent the disease from spreading to uninfected leaves. If you spray early enough next year (as the leaves begin to unfold) and at the right intervals (according to package instructions)and the nursery center gave you the correct fungicide for your specific disease, you shouldn't have the leaf spot problem next year. Clean up any fallen leaves from around the plant as they may harbor the fungus over winter. Cercospora leaf spot is the one most often associated with Viburnums. I get it on my "Snowball bush"(Viburnum Opulus Sterile)but not so bad as to make me spray (I save that for my roses). And as esh pointed out, most Viburnums are deciduous so they will drop their leaves in the fall. My Viburnum leaves turn a maroonish color before dropping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here