Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gold mop shrub: maybe juniper; spider webs

Posted by brownsnest TN (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 7:46

TN is suffering from a drought and our city has been restricted from watering. I am wondering if this is why I am seeing spider webs in my gold mop bushes. This is the common name, but they are evergreen, turning a slight yellow in winter, but never losing foliage. They bush out with flowing branches, looking like a MOP of greenery.
Does anyone know what to do to get rid of these spiders building webs?
Thanks,
Nan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gold mop shrub: maybe juniper; spider webs

Spiders are beneficial guys/gals for the most part. If you don't like the webs, just take a stick and destroy the web. Often the spider will move on to another place. With fall coming on fast now, some may not even build another web.

o

beneficial .... they are hunting the bugs you really don't want ... destroy the spiders.. and you may have bigger problems ...

please.. let them be .... they seem more apparent in fall .. misty mornings highlight the webs.. which disappear when they dry ...

you have planted a garden to revel in mother nature.. spiders are included in such ... let them be ...

its a whole nother question if they invade your house ... lol

good luck

ken

o

they might be the webs of spider mites and you will want to eliminate those. those are more apt to thrive in dry conditions (such a drought) and can be controlled with regular misting of water to the foliage as it interferes with the breeding cycle. if you are seeing a network of fine webbing and no(easily) visible spiders, it could be spider mites.
if they are the webs of regular garden spiders, let them be as recommended by above posters.

Here is a link that might be useful: spider mite control

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 30, 07 at 23:17

Mites make fine, close webs not likely to be noticed without looking very closely. Severe infestations may draw attention first by causing discoloration of affected plant parts, after which webbing may be discerned in places like the angles between leaf blades and leaf stalks.

o

Put a white piece of paper under a branch and tap it with your hand. Then run a finger along the surface of the paper. If you get red streaks, you have spider mites.

o

This is the time of year when spiderlings make their little webs all over the place. I've been noticing them all around my home, too. There's not a thing you should do about them, as very few will survive for very long. The ones that do should be a welcome addition to the landscape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here