Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need tall, skinny, columnar shrub (not arborvitae's!)

Posted by bthombs z7 SC (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 8:00

We live in the Charlotte, NC area. We have a section on our property that we'd like to put in screening (need something 4' wide max). We don't want emerald arborvitae's - we haven't had good luck with these. I've read about Bright 'N Tight Carolina Laurels, but can they be pruned and be maintained that skinny (4' max is our available space).

Thanks for any advice, it's been hard to find this information on the internet. This area is mostly shade.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need tall, skinny, columnar shrub (not arborvitae's!)

Just bought my Emerald Arborvitae for an intended hedge so I hope I have better luck with it than you have had. The limiting factor with your site is the shade. I like using boxwood as a hedge but sounds like your situation may not be bright enough. Same goes for the so-called "Sky Pencil Holly". I have Fargesia bamboo in semi-shaded area that does quite well (it's a clumping species so it won't run wild). You also might consider "Cephalotaxus harringtonia fastigiata" (it's the upright growing, Japanese Plum Yew) and is fairly shade tolerant, though it can get to be 3-five feet wide and 8 to 10 feet tall (unpruned).

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 13:32

o

Columnar golden yew is a nice tightly upright grower. You won't get much of the gold colour in the shade, but it is still a nice shape.

I think the Ilex would do OK in shade too.

Is this tree shade with root competition, building shade, or what?

Karin L

o

Go with _Podocarpus_. It fits the bill.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 2, 11 at 12:29

Which Podocarpus?

o

Dear bboy,
Our _Podocarpus_ is the Southern Yew (_Podocarpus macrophyllus_).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here