Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Variegated boxwood elegantissima

Posted by miclino 5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 11 at 10:03

Saw this plant at Lowes and loved the color. However, they went on sale and were cleared out before I could even blink.

Tag says zone 6, I would say I'm in zone 5b and in a protected location this would do well. Have a small semicircular bed that this would make a nice small hedge for. Does anyone have experience with this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Variegated boxwood elegantissima

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 6, 11 at 11:54

True item has a dwarfish tight habit with twisting etc. of many leaves. I seldom see it offered here. I think name is often misapplied to another form with larger, more normal growth and mostly normal (flattish) leaves. This is common, sold under other names as well. I have never determined which is correct, multiple variegated forms have been named and described.

o
RE: Variegated boxwood elegantissima

I have a variegated form that was labeled elegantissima, but doesn't have twisted leaves. It is placed in a quite sheltered position where it doesn't get winter sun and is covered with snow for most of the winter. Branches that stick out of the snow bank do get a bit of winter burn. It has survived for about 6 years now, but it hasn't grown a huge amount.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here