Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acw2355

Pacific NW mixed shrub border

acw2355
13 years ago

Hello, I'm looking for some ideas for a mixed shrub border I'm planning for my SW Washington front yard. Idea is mixed shrubs with some perennials added in for interest in the front.

The area in mind is lawn right now. The lawn has a south and west exposure however there are Doug firs across the street (west side) so it is not sunny all day long. The area will be on the north side of a neighbor's white picket fence. It will be rather long; about 48 feet long and 5 feet deep. It may be undulating; I'm trying to break up the rectangular look of the area.

I'd like a backdrop shrubs not much higher than 8 feet.

Am planning to use a mix of natives and exotics with a loose border look to get in a lot of variety. Colours: Autumn colors with some blue conifers for interest.

I've started picking up a few plants:

Arctostaphylos rudis

Mahonia aquifolium

Smoketree "Grace"

Fuschia megellanica "Aurea"

and I've got a few on a wish list.

I've got lots of ideas I'm trying to gel...my problem is too many ideas! I really like that Pacific NW look that is part Asian inspired and part English herbaceous border (Gertrude Jekyll) inspired.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The manzanita will be liable to like it drier and sunnier than many other subjects that might be used in a mixed border.

Unless the whole border is to be composed of semiarid climate plants.

Which, from the list you have given it clearly is not.

Look for a copy of Grant & Grant, Garden Design Illustrated (less than 10 dollars at Half Price Books, where I have encountered it more than once in the past) and read that next. Important fundamentals of mixed border design are covered in a flowing, magazine article style format. I've never encountered any other approach to the subject area that I have found as impressive as that put forward by the Grants in this book.

• acw2355
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for that suggestion. I will look for it.
    The Arctostaphylos rudis is evidently a coastal form. I found it at Portland Nursery as something new so I thought I'd give it a try. I like to try out new plants. There are spots in this border that are sunnier so I will place it in one of those spots.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

This is the kind of shrub for a hot rockery or wall, with exceptional drainage, and little or no watering (in this region) after establishment.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Sunny is one thing, but dry is another - the manzanita will prefer a very well-draining and nearly xeric location, whereas the other shrubs listed would be happiest with regular summer irrigation. Maybe replace the manzanita with a Garrya or coastal silktassel. And 'Grace' will rapidly exceed 8' unless coppiced routinely.

It is not difficult to design a mixed shrub border and you do have a good length to work with. I'd suggest increasing the depth of the bed - 6' is about a minimum for shrubs and to achieve any sense of layering, you'd need at least 8', preferrably 10'. Doesn't have to be the same depth the entire length - in fact, a shallowly undulating curved border would look better than a straight shot :-)

As to plant selection, you are not too limited except by choosing plants according to similar cultural conditions. Mixed borders always look best if one combines a fair proportion of evergreen material in with the deciduous. For a signature PNW border I'd be sure to include a flowering currant, shrub dogwood, the garrya and a wax myrtle or two - any other choices would be at your preference but I'd definitely consider enkianthus, fothergilla, choisya and viburnums.

• acw2355
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Point taken on the manzanita. I'm on a 1/2 acre lot with lots of microclimates (dry shade, dry sun, mod. moist sun and shade, etc.) so I'll find an appropriate spot for it and test it out.

Yes, I was planning on coppicing the "Grace" cotinus.

Have the flowering current and the fothergilla already in another area - love 'em, so will get more.

King County, WA has a fantastic native plant database with the capability of saving a "my plant" list. I'm making good use of that.

• oliveoyl3
    13 years ago

Alyga: This weekend is a free plant swap worth the drive northeast to Redmond, WA as we've brought home more than imagined. Amazing that it's all free & lovely plants of all types from trees to dahlia tubers. Perennial vegetables & fruits of all types as well if that's your interest also. The parking lot gets filled to the max, so be sure to arrive by 10am if you can. If you have a wish list that is also helpful as someone will likely direct you to it elsewhere in the parking lot!

People trade from the backs of their cars as well as drop off plants in a free area near the church entrance. Jim has a crew set up & serve hot coffee/tea as well. We've been in pouring down rain as well as sunshine & still gardeners everywhere with pots and plants.

Enjoy, Corrine

From the Pacific Northwest Garden Exchange Forum

Posted by greenelephant Woodinville WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 14:20

You are invited to share in your

"Autumnal Abundance"

Saturday November 6, 2010, 10:00 AM to Noon
    Church of the Holy Cross
    11526 162nd Ave NE
    Redmond, WA 98052

Jim Eichner host
    425-223-7249 cell anytime.

November is an excellent time to divide and conquer your garden: move woody plants, empty containers, divide perennials, gather seeds and store frost-tender tropicals. While we are at it, it is time to exchange and share plants and talk about the highlights of our summer gardens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Elephant Plant Swap Details & Directions

• botann
    13 years ago

I also recommend reading Garden Design Illustrated by Grant and Grant. If I were teaching a course on landscape design, it would be required reading.
    Mike

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

The late Dennis Thompson was recommending it when I took horticulture classes at Edmonds Community College during the 1970s.