Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Sprite/Jim Dandy Winterberry spacing

Posted by tbt3 z7VA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 12:09

I am planting a bed that has limited space and am making a backdrop of red sprite and jim dandy winterberries. As best I can tell they grow 3-5ft wide, but I don't mind if they grow together in a hedgy way.

My question is how close can I realistically plant them for success. Right now, I have them planned on three foot centers. This is a little closer if they do grow to 5 ft, but that is what I have space for and doesn't seem completely outrageous to me. I don't mind if they grow together a little bit as far as how it looks, but I don't want to hurt the performance of the plants.

Thanks,
TBT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Sprite/Jim Dandy Winterberry spacing

Hello,

You should be fine as long as they are at least 2' apart. The closer you plant them, the denser they will become. Hedgerow plants grow into each other and their roots weave and they are fine. In the forest 80' trees grow a handful of feet away from each other and they do fine. I don't think you need to worry. One thing I will say though is that Jim Dandy will likely out grow your Red Sprite. It is my experience that the girl is a slower grower and shorter as well. Just keep that in mind. One boy should be good for 5 girls. Happy planting :)

o

Would put Jim Dandy somewhere else. Have had both here and, as the sequoiadendron4 said, Jim Dandy becomes a huge bush, while my Red Sprite has stayed dwarf. And you only need one male for many females.

o

Also, Jim Dandy won't have berries so it may look very odd to see in a row.

o

This opportunity to mimic bboy only comes along once in a lifetime - to wit:

OMG - you can't possibly plant 'Red Sprite' that close together! Look how big it gets!

o

do all these need sun to have all these berries? how much if so?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here