Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
botann

Anyone grow Enkianthus?

botann
10 years ago

I think it's an underused shrub, small tree.
Here's one of mine.
Mike

Comments (20)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Mike, where was this post an hour ago?? :) I just got back from my favorite nursery's fall sale. They have two varieties of Enkianthus, and I dithered over them for some time, but since I knew next to nothing about them, I passed. I got on GW to learn more, and there you are with your beautiful photo! You have me sold on it.

I will do more of my own research, but what more can you tell me about yours? Slow/fast grower? I know we are in totally different climes, but what light conditions is yours in?

Finally, the varieties at my nursery were labelled simply "red vein" or " pink selections." Do you know if these are distinct, and if so, how?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

E. campanulatus often present at independent outlets, have seen a few big ones growing here and there on local properties. The Plant Locator - Western Region (2004, Black-Eyed Susans/Timber, Portland) listed 15 sources for the typical plant - along with listings of multiple named cultivars.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Whoa! That is gorgeous!

I have one that has not done a whole lot over the last few years. I have acid soil and it is in a part-sun situation with some shade at the base from a fence. Is this one of those shrubs that all of a sudden will shoot up and out? I think where I've placed the shrub it should be fairly happy and perform well, but so far it hasn't done a whole lot. I'd never give up on it though. I agree they are underused, and I hardly ever see them for sale at local nurseries. Such a shame.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Another beautiful plant I can't grow!lol

If I had one wish on my lot it would be more acidic.

Song Sparrow stocks ENKIANTHUS CAMPANULATUS 'SHOWY LANTERN'

• bogturtle
    10 years ago

Enkianthus perulatus is doing well and colors just as shown, while E. 'Sinsetu' blooms nicely but does not color up in the Fall. They could behave differently in other places, I suppose.
    While I am near the Atlantic, my climate is still not as agreeable to many plants as the PNW.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Welp, I went back and picked up the enkianthus campanulatus I had my eye on. Beautiful, tempting photo + fall clearance sale...what's a girl to do?

I am so sorry if the photo shows up upside down for you...I still haven't figured out which way to hold my iPad in order to take a pic that will post upright.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

I've tried repeatedly to grow E. campanulatus and perrulatus. And they're not cheap. And they don't do well. And I have perfect conditions for them. ??????

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I planted one early last spring. I hope it turns out to be as marvelous as yours, Mike!

• stimpy926
    10 years ago

I have both but they seem to just sit there. They bloom and color up well in fall, depending on weather conditions of the past season. How old is yours Mike?

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Heath family shrubs like this can have a chronic root rot problem reducing root activity and therefore top growth.

• botann
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The one pictured above is about 20 years old.
    The one pictured below is about 15 years old and is just beginning to color up. I guess I could prune it a bit to get a layered look, but I'm afraid of wet snow and ice damage.
    That's a small Vine Maple at the bottom that didn't have good Fall color this year.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I have the same problem as whaas - my soil is neutral, and I kill (repeatedly - I just never learn) Enkianthus, Pieris, Leucathoe...I tried an Enkianthus (E. campanulatus 'Jean Iseli Red') in a pot but even that didn't work. I suspect these plants also don't like my dry summers.

The photos are lovely, Mike.

Sara

• stimpy926
    10 years ago

bboy, interesting. If I move my perrulatus where my pierus and roseum rhodo thrive - foundation on north/northeast side of my home - maybe that'll get it going. Next spring. They are underplanted with water hog pachysandra, not a good groundcover during dry times I know. There has to be a spot somewhere around this property, ha ha.

• zephyrgal
    10 years ago

Here's mine. Planted about 3 years ago and displaying nice autumn foliage

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

I love mine>>want to try the white one because I hear it is the best? Hard to find, I think Fairweather Gardens may have it but it is expensive. I have acid soil and never had a problem with the Enkianthus campanulatus.

• AJ Princeton NJ z6b
    last month

Reviving this 10 year old thread on the Enkianthus. Wanted to check in how the plant has done for you all in terms of fall colour, flowers and habit. I have located an Enkianthus Campanulatus Princeton Red Bells. I intend to plant it in a bit of shade and soil which sometimes gets wet for a few days but has adequate moisture generally. Will you recommend it ?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

Like mike (botann), I live in the PNW and Enkianthus is a popular although not widely used shrub. In fact, 3 different enks are listed on the Great Plant Picks website as being plants well suited to PNW gardens. I grew one in a former garden but that was some years ago and I no longer remember which enk it was. But it grew slowly, colored up well in fall in a reasonable amount of sun. Enkianthus campanulatus 'Red Bells' is relatively compact (8'x6') and grows in tiers that require minimal pruning. As long as you have acidic soils - rhodies, pieris and other ericaceous plants thrive - and the area is well drained, you should have no issues.

Make sure to offer the plant plenty of sun for best fall color!

• sam_md
    last month

Here you go AJ Princeton j.L. Pennock Enkianthus is my thread about the white blooming enkianthus. The original is in N. Philly at Morris Arboretum so not that far from you. Pix taken of shrubs in full sun, slow growing and absolutely no pruning necessary. This one is strictly a collector's item, AFAIK not commercialy available but you might seek it out.

• AJ Princeton NJ z6b
    last month

Thank you so much Sam! That picture is such a treat even though it’s later in the fall ..

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor