Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow Enkianthus?

Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 12:51

I think it's an underused shrub, small tree.
Here's one of mine.
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow Enkianthus?

Mike, where was this post an hour ago?? :) I just got back from my favorite nursery's fall sale. They have two varieties of Enkianthus, and I dithered over them for some time, but since I knew next to nothing about them, I passed. I got on GW to learn more, and there you are with your beautiful photo! You have me sold on it.

I will do more of my own research, but what more can you tell me about yours? Slow/fast grower? I know we are in totally different climes, but what light conditions is yours in?

Finally, the varieties at my nursery were labelled simply "red vein" or " pink selections." Do you know if these are distinct, and if so, how?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 15:14

E. campanulatus often present at independent outlets, have seen a few big ones growing here and there on local properties. The Plant Locator - Western Region (2004, Black-Eyed Susans/Timber, Portland) listed 15 sources for the typical plant - along with listings of multiple named cultivars.

o

Whoa! That is gorgeous!

I have one that has not done a whole lot over the last few years. I have acid soil and it is in a part-sun situation with some shade at the base from a fence. Is this one of those shrubs that all of a sudden will shoot up and out? I think where I've placed the shrub it should be fairly happy and perform well, but so far it hasn't done a whole lot. I'd never give up on it though. I agree they are underused, and I hardly ever see them for sale at local nurseries. Such a shame.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 21:15

Another beautiful plant I can't grow!lol

If I had one wish on my lot it would be more acidic.

Song Sparrow stocks ENKIANTHUS CAMPANULATUS 'SHOWY LANTERN'

o

Enkianthus perulatus is doing well and colors just as shown, while E. 'Sinsetu' blooms nicely but does not color up in the Fall. They could behave differently in other places, I suppose.
While I am near the Atlantic, my climate is still not as agreeable to many plants as the PNW.

o

Welp, I went back and picked up the enkianthus campanulatus I had my eye on. Beautiful, tempting photo + fall clearance sale...what's a girl to do?

I am so sorry if the photo shows up upside down for you...I still haven't figured out which way to hold my iPad in order to take a pic that will post upright.

o

I've tried repeatedly to grow E. campanulatus and perrulatus. And they're not cheap. And they don't do well. And I have perfect conditions for them. ??????

o

I planted one early last spring. I hope it turns out to be as marvelous as yours, Mike!

o

I have both but they seem to just sit there. They bloom and color up well in fall, depending on weather conditions of the past season. How old is yours Mike?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 22:34

Heath family shrubs like this can have a chronic root rot problem reducing root activity and therefore top growth.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 7:19

The one pictured above is about 20 years old.
The one pictured below is about 15 years old and is just beginning to color up. I guess I could prune it a bit to get a layered look, but I'm afraid of wet snow and ice damage.
That's a small Vine Maple at the bottom that didn't have good Fall color this year.

o

I have the same problem as whaas - my soil is neutral, and I kill (repeatedly - I just never learn) Enkianthus, Pieris, Leucathoe...I tried an Enkianthus (E. campanulatus 'Jean Iseli Red') in a pot but even that didn't work. I suspect these plants also don't like my dry summers.

The photos are lovely, Mike.

Sara

o

bboy, interesting. If I move my perrulatus where my pierus and roseum rhodo thrive - foundation on north/northeast side of my home - maybe that'll get it going. Next spring. They are underplanted with water hog pachysandra, not a good groundcover during dry times I know. There has to be a spot somewhere around this property, ha ha.

o

Here's mine. Planted about 3 years ago and displaying nice autumn foliage

o

I love mine>>want to try the white one because I hear it is the best? Hard to find, I think Fairweather Gardens may have it but it is expensive. I have acid soil and never had a problem with the Enkianthus campanulatus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here