Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vision6800

Keeping Emerald Arborvitaes Healthy

Vision6800
11 years ago

Are emerald arborvitaes prone to occasional brown spots and bald spots? How can they be kept green and healthy?

I have two large ones that were planted last Sept and another 6 planted this May.

The first two have been getting 3 gal of water each twice a week for a year and each received two fertilizer spikes in the spring. About 4 - 8 weeks ago some brown spots showed up. One on the stop and the other a large line down the side. I have seen ants in the mulch of one of them.

{{gwi:280551}}

{{gwi:280553}}

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

hi

prune out the brown .. back to a branch with live green material ...

do not waste your money on tree spikes ... for what good they do.. just send me the money .... lol ...

how did you determine 3 gals of water was sufficient for such a large transplant??? the browning is most likely related to lack of water in summer ...

ken

• Vision6800
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm under the impression if you cut off the top it will stop growing vertically and start expanding it's width. So that shouldn't be done.

The nursery's watering guide suggests 3 gal of water twice a week and that has been working fine. This summer I had little to no browning. If anything I'm concerned that they are getting too much water.

If the spikes are a waste of money, how should they be fertilized?

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

The main peculiarity of this cultivar is its susceptibility to root rot. Scattered dead branches can, in fact be a sign of this.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

I AM USING CAPS TO SPECIFICALLY ANSWER YOUR COMMENTS.. NOT YELLING

I'm under the impression if you cut off the top === I DID NOT TELL YOU TO CUT OFF THE TOP .. I SUGGESTED YOU REMOVE DEAD BRANCHES ... THE PLANT WILL FILL BACK IN ...

The nursery's watering guide suggests 3 gal of water twice a week and that has been working fine. IF IT WAS 'FINE' .. YOU WOULDNT BE HAVING PROBLEMS NOW ... NO ONE KNOWS HOW WATER MOVES THRU YOUR SOIL.. GO DIG A HOLE NEXT TO THE BALL YOU PLANTED .... AND FIND OUT IF THE SOIL .. AT 6 INCHES IS DRY OR SOGGY ... THEN EITHER WATER MORE.. OR STOP WATERING ...

If the spikes are a waste of money, how should they be fertilized? THEY ARE TREES.. NOT CHILDREN.. THEY DO NOT NEED TO BE FED .. THEY NEED PROPER WATERING ...

=== did the nursery also sell you soil amendments for the planting hole????

where are you.. and what is the native soil.. CLAY??? .. what was the ambient summer weather?? .. extreme heat.. drought???

more facts if you want to get to the root of the issue [pun intended] ..

ken

PS: that damage could be simply from being throw off and on shipping vehicles by burly young men who do NOT care ... as an evergreen ... the damage might not show until much later ...

pps: they are conifers .... which are also trees... but they are not shrubs .... but we will get you straightened out here.. no need to go shop for a new forum ... just simple information ....