Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to plant Variegated English Holly?

Posted by adrianmonk 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 07 at 13:49

I had a problem last year with a dead shrub in the flower bed at one side of my front door... one of those inexpensive dwarf evergreens. Somehow, I got taken by the Variegated English Hollies at the nursery, and bought a large and expensive one. Thinking about it all summer, I'm just not sure this is a good spot for it. The bed on that side has an Alaskan Pendulum Cedar (evergreen) on the outside, with several golden Euonymous shrubs between the Holly and the evergreen. To me, it seems that the Holly is too similar in color to the Euonymous group, and will eventually be too large to be next to the stoop. It's a nice plant, but I'm not sure where to put it. My landscaper thinks it's fine where it it, but I really think it's being wasted. This is supposed to get very big (15 feet+)... What was I thinking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to plant Variegated English Holly?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 21, 07 at 15:28

Climate permitting, it will get much bigger than that - albeit slowly. However, hollies are very tolerant of pruning. What will really get big is the 'Pendula' cedar, it is not a dwarf. Here in USDA 8 we have planted specimens over 80 ft. tall (many native examples in nearby mountains are as drooping as those sold as 'Pendula').

o

Yes, my "Pendula" is another issue. It is on the far side of the bed, framing the house. I want it to get big and impressive (30 feet plus), but it's only 12 feet tall right now.

I suppose the holly is "Ok" where it is now, and my landscaper did say that trimming could keep it under control. It's about five feet tall, which isn't too bad. I just think it needs a place to be itself and to show itself off. Up against my railings doesn't really work.

o

Sun, Oct 21, 07 at 17:53

If white variegated makes a good contrast to purple leaves or scarlet (bluish) red flowers, the latter such as those provided by hybrid rhododendrons for instance. (Yellow-variegated hollies look well with tomato (orangish) red rhododendrons).

o

Thanks for the help. The thing that's going through my mind though, is whether I could plant it away from the foundation bed entirely, somewhere on the lawn..kind of like a tree. Although I've probably made it sound as if it's in a prominent position now, it's actually screened by the mailbox, often in the awning's shadow, and hardly noticeable. Although the nurseries are often loaded with these, I can't seem to find one in view in real life. The Internet photos for the most part just show the plant itself, so it's difficult to get ideas. Mine is yellow variegated, red berries about 2.5 feet wide by 5 feet tall. Would it look weird on the lawn?

o

Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 3:47

Often used as lawn specimens. Just don't limb it up later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here