Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplant viburnums in spring?

Posted by seagreen_turtle Z5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 13:50

I haven't touched them yet but is it safe for me to transplant a Michael Dodge and one other unidentified Viburnum next spring? Should I wait until after they bloom? I planted small specimens last fall and I can tell they are going to get big by how much they'e grown in one year, especially the Michael Dodge. I'd like to move them to a roomier and sunnier spot.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplant viburnums in spring?

down here in adrian mi .. i would do it in october... or late march/april ...

you are going to have to try hard to kill a viburnum .... just do it ...

loss of bloom is an issue with pruning .. not moving .... the buds for next year are already on the plant ... look close ....

ken

o

Thanks Ken from Adrian. You've answered a question or two for me in the past though I usually just post a few times a year. I thought maybe moving the viburnums in spring might stress them out so that the buds wouldn't flower or produce fruit. I've finally got enough types of viburnums that I got fruit on all except the two newcomers (and my snowball of course) to my garden. Even my blueberry muffin finally fruited. I got some new pollinators from Fairweather gardens that must have helped.

o

whether or not they are so stressed that they abort flowers.. is more of an issue of aftercare ... presuming you can dig it up without killing it ...

listen.. you gotta do.. what you gotta do .. and if you lose flowers [which are requisite for berries] for one season.. so be it .. it has to be moved ...

no need to worry about flowers.. just get the darn thing to live... you are putting the cart before the apple worrying about fruit/flower

ken

o

They are thriving where they are now but will have more elbow room to grow if I move them to south side of house. They were babies a year ago. I planted a 3 inch butterfly bush on the south side two years ago and it's over 10 feet tall and 4 feet wide now. ALL my plants love the south and east sides of my house - basically all sun. Where the two viburnums are now are mostly shady, little sun.

I do take care of all my plants, lots of TLC, compost, wtare as(if) needed, minimal pruning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here