Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andreajoyames

Privacy Shrub Suggestions Please? Pic included.

andreajoy
11 years ago

Well, here is my backyard view. Sigh. That...that is my neighbor's house. The only one on the block that is in sore need of a paint job, and I am lucky enough to have it LOOMING over my pool! I just bought this house, so the pool will be refinished this winter, the red deck ripped out this weekend, and planting will occur this fall.

Here are the challenges for the space. There is only 7 feet between the fence and the pool. To add to the fun, two feet in from the fence is the street's water main. Oh, AND, the neighbor has asked that I not grow anything on the fence, because it will make the fence rot. The irony!

Yesterday, I bought three Prunus Laurocerasus, then I came here and read that three might be a bit of overkill. Actually one might be overkill. But whatever goes in front of that window, MUST do the job! (no peeky into the pool!)

I like the idea of a mixed planting. I am a gardener after all, but I have been staring at this space to no avail.

I know this is a really tall order. No invasive roots, it can be as tall as it wants, evergreen, fast growing, and not too expensive. I have a family to feed.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Comments (9)

• khopew
    11 years ago

Hi,

I'm new here, but I had a very similar problem I was trying to find a solution for this week. I have a narrow area along a fenced driveway and I needed a tall, fast growing evergreen.(I'm trying to block out neighbors, too) I was directed towards junipers, specifically "skyrocket" and "Spartan" and I just ordered 16 spartans to line my driveway, and they didn't break the bank. I'm not sure about the root systems on either of those, but they seem to match the rest of your needs :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

how about a stained glass window.. so you will quit looking out the window you snapped the pic from ... lol ..

seriously.. i have nothing ...

ken

• andreajoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is one English Laurel, planted right in front of that window, too much?

• User
    11 years ago

andrea
    I would plant bamboo, the running kind, only when you redo the red bricks, I would insert planting boxes about 2 1/2 feet tall by 2 feet wide.
    Then fill with garden soil and lightly mulch a little, you should put holes in the bottom of the boxes.
    Look up online to see how nice it looks contained like that.
    That is what I would do. Instant coverage.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh jeepers...do NOT plant running bamboo. I hope that advice was a joke!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

this spot screams 'cantilevered pergola' ... google that term ... see link below ...

creates both shade to sit under.. and sight block

so all you need.. is a budget.. an engineer and a carpenter ... lol .. easy as pie.. lol ..

ken

ps: and in Ca.. probably the permission of every bureaucrat from you to me in MI ... good luck with that ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

If you have most of the whole area under the pink boards to work with you can do a nice mixed planting with one tree not large-growing enough to interfere with the pipes and various shrubs. Put the tree in front of the tallest part of the neighbor's house, as seen from where you took the above picture. Choose shrubs that correspond with the outline of what will become the new bed. Put smaller-leaved and -growing kinds in the more narrow parts of the bed and bigger-leaved and -growing in the wider sections.

If the chairs being up against the fence indicates there are times when you want to sit out there but it is too hot then you would want to erect a shade structure, as suggested, so you can start having a pleasant outdoor room right away - trees take years to produce a substantial pool of shade.

A good place to see trees there is the Capitol campus. Although most of the collection is large-growing kinds, including some now spectacular examples there is also a perentage of smaller-growing ones represented, including citrus trees. Where one that catches your interest is not identified pick a representative twig and take it to an independent garden outlet to see if they know what it is.

• User
    11 years ago

Andrea,
    Like this
    {{gwi:280924}}

Just an idea, it looks awesome!
    The bamboo won't eat you either.

• rosiew
    11 years ago

I think a pergola/arbor structure is called for here. You need about 9 - 10' height for privacy. The crosspieces at the top can be angled for your privacy. The length can be planned to optimize privacy. This so much better than waiting at least two seasons, I think. And the planting would be limited to either end of the arbor - cimbing roses my first choice. You could soften some of the fencing by growing annual vines up remesh panels, with the top of the panels leaning near the top of the fence.

Are you certain it's their fence? The way it's constructed isn't the norm for fencing codes.

Really hope this helps,
    Rosie