Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rober49

shrub I.D. rooting tips please

rober49
9 years ago

these shrubs are growing nearby & are 7-8" tall by 3-4' wide. they've been in bloom all summer & the honey bees have been on them on a regular basis. pictured are some cuttings that I'm trying to root. I have them in a mixture of potting soil, peat moss, & sand & watered them with some rooting hormone added to the water. can anyone i.d this shrub please? I know from experience some plants root easier from tender green shoots & some from haredened wooden stems. any advice on rooting this bush would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (9)

• shrubbish
    9 years ago

This is in the viburnum family

Meg

• rober49
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it's getting late in the year for it but how hard are these to root?

• rober49
    Original Author
    9 years ago

dropped a sample at the mo. botanical & got this reply
    Rober,
    The ID of your shrub is Viburnum x rhytidophylloides. The common name is Lantanaphyllum Viburnum. It is a hybrid of Viburnum lantana x Viburnum rhytidophyllum.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Did they tell you how the root the plant from cuttings? Viburnums are generally not too tricky to propagate from cuttings but there are techniques that will definitely enhance your chances of success.

Timing. Ideally you want cuttings in the softwood stage - the tip of the branch bendable but not so bendy that it does not snap off. So any time from late spring through summer.

You want a tip cutting that has at least two sets of leaves - about 3-5" in length. And preferrably no flowers (if any, cut off). Make the cut about 1" below the second set of leaves - strip these off. Dip in rooting hormone then plant in a well draining starting medium with the lower leaf nodes below the soil. Cut the remaining leaves in half to reduce transipration.

It helps a lot if you place the starts in their pots inside a clear plastic bag to prevent evaporation, keeping the plastic off the leaves. Bottom heat, if you can provide it, will hasten root development. Provide room temperatures - right around 70F is good - and keep out of direct sunlight. Keep the potting medium moist but not wet. Rooting should occur in about 4-6 weeks.

Once firm rooting has been established, the cuttings can be planted up into a larger pot. But it will take time for a proper root system to develop and you may not be able to plant them out in the garden without protection for a couple of growing seasons. A greenhouse or cold frame would be helpful.

Can't say how likely your cuttings are to take this late in the season but it is always suggested to expect a fair percentage of failure at any time. IOW, take a whole lot more cuttings than you think you need :-)

• rober49
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've already started some but if they do not take I'll try again in the spring of next year. thanks for the tips!!
    I've had reasonable success with other plants. if I have a 50 % success rate I feel like I've done pretty good.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

you seem to think.. that rooting is a summer thing ..

a lot of things are cut and rooted in every season other than summer...

take a gander at the link.. and find out

you might also want to get dirrs manual on propagation of woody plants... from your library.. ask them how they might get it to you.. if they dont have it on a shelf ...

and add whatever that all says.. to gals primer.. and you ought to be all set ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• rober49
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ken - it's really cooled off here & it is raining a lot which will slow down the rooting process for plants that are outside. my concern then is that they'll not root before winter weather sets in. I have a lot of succulents, cacti, night blooming cyrrus, & brugmansia ( which I root all the time ). that I have to keep inside during the winter so that I have no space for anything else. if none root outside this process will have to wait for spring. if any of the viburnem do root i'll try a couple in pots that are heeled into the ground & heavily mulched. thanks for the links.

• davidlmo
    9 years ago

That is a leather leaf viburnum. Long bloom period, no scent and semi-evergreen in my area. Since you have started so late, treat them like a hardwood cutting and heal the container in somewhere. If you fail, try again in spring.

• davidlmo
    9 years ago

That is a leather leaf viburnum. Long bloom period, no scent and semi-evergreen in my area. Since you have started so late, treat them like a hardwood cutting and heal the container in somewhere. If you fail, try again in spring.