Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fothergilla not growing well

Posted by miclino 5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 14:54

I have a fothergilla mt. airy located in a raised bed, clay soil, full sun until late afternoon. It may be a dryish spot because it gets no supplemental watering unless I remember. I did that atleast once a week several weeks this summer due to the heat wave. It has been in that spot for alteast 18 months now and has grown very little. It has filled out a bit but put on barely any height. I really needed something taller in that particular spot.

I know fothergilla's grow slowly but this has hardly put on any height at all. Is there any reason to think it will speed up growth as it gets more established? Is the lack of supplemental watering a problem? I have boxwoods and weigela's nearby doing just fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fothergilla not growing well

i cant recall where in MI you are compared to my adrian..

but we had near 8 weeks near 100 degrees.. with nights very hot .. and no rain .... EVERYTHING on my 5 acres was affected ... even the hosta under irrigation ...

to suggest that you might have given it a couple extra waterings.. when you thought about it.. MIGHT be the lead fact in the scenario .... as you suspect ...

you dont mention whether the boxwood and weigela were also in the same lack of water situation ...

frankly.. after the summer we had.. i am glad i didnt lose more stuff than i did.. mostly conifers ...

the fact that it is alive is good enough for me ...

ken

o

The boxwoods are established and doing fine. The weigelas are new and also growing very well. All are in the same situation regarding water and sun.

I guess what I am asking is that in normal conditions could I expect more growth out of the fothergilla or is it naturally extremely slow growing.

o

I have several Mt. Airy Fothergillas which were purchased as liners (large rooted cuttings) about 5 years ago. I planted them directly into the beds where I wanted them. I found that they grew quite slowly for the first 3 seasons, but then they started growing faster, especially width. The ones that are in similar conditions to those you describe are now about 4 1/2 feet tall and wide, though they may have more moisture than yours since they get runoff from a patio. The ones in drier situations have grown slower, so not watering regularly may have slowed yours some. They are relatively slow growing, compared to some deciduous rhododendrons I planted at the same time, but in my opinion are worth waiting for.

o

Thanks

o

Mine took about two years to begin to do well. The soil here is acid sand, but they were mulched with root mulch and leaves. Now they are slowly increasing and splendid.

o

You don't say whether the soil in your raised bed is acidic. Box and weigela don't need it but Fothergilla does. It likes the kinds of conditions which suit Azaleas and Kalmia, whereas box and weigela are unfussy and will grow in just about anything. Might be worth checking.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 24, 11 at 17:53

As flora eluded to Fothergilla is quite slow around here...we have neutral to slightly alkaline soil. They do perform they are just slow.

One of the reason nurseries don't recommend them if you have rabbits as they do't rebound very well after they are ravished.

o

I believe my two fothergillas have been ravaged by rabbits. If not then my neighbor cut every stem with sharp pruners. Any suggestions for getting them back. They don't appear to be dead but it's April 15 and there isn't a speck of green or flower on them. So disappointing.

o

organikgirl-For the first time in the 10 years I've had my fothergilla squirrels simply ravaged my plant.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here