Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companion plants for Winterberry?

Posted by shelli563 zone 5 MA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 15:23

I just purchased 3 Winter Red and 1 Southern Gentleman . I'm creating a winter interest garden in partial shade with these as the focal point. I'd like to get some recommendations for companion plants that are evergreen or perhaps some grasses when dried that have winter interest.

Thanks again,
Shelli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companion plants for Winterberry?

Well, any of the grasses are spectacular in winter, ranging from the huge Erianthus ravennae to smaller 'Little Bluestem'. My favorite grass, gorgeous from summer into late winter when you cut it down is Miscanthus 'Morning Light', gorgeous shape and sturdy stems and plumes that hold up through the winter, even rebounding after heavy snow.

You might also consider some of the low junipers in blue or gold.

o

Thank you for the suggestions. How do you think Miscanthus Morning Light will handle the shade?

I'm thinning out some trees to bring in more light, but still it will see little direct sun.

o

No, grasses need full sun. Sorry, I missed the partial shade part of your first post. There are some grasses that will do well in shade, but none will provide much winter interest.

o

I cannot recall if my blue-gray toned Carex are evergreen, but they would appeal to me, among Winterberry. So would low Cotoneasters, or any of the low heath type plants like Vaccinium crassifolia, groundcover lingonberry, lowbush blueberry, or bearberry. Asarum europeaum, Arum italicum, hardy Cyclamens would all look beautiful. Some need more Sun than others, but most are growing beautifully for me with half day Sun. Some thrive with the Summer shade of the Winterberry, appreciating the Sun when the shrubs are leafless.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here