Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my white flowered mystery bush

Posted by KiraWilliams Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 15:28

For my whole life I thought I had a Mock Orange bush. After recent research on how to prune, I discovered that Mock Orange bloom on old wood and mine blooms on new. It looks like mock orange pictures (don't have a picture of my own unfortunately). The bush is also taller, at least 10 feet. It bloom in June (zone 6). Anyone have an idea what I have been growing here all my life?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my white flowered mystery bush

not without a picture of the whole.. and a leaf.. and a flower would be a bonus ...

kira.. you didnt even describe the flower.. other than white ..

ah .. what the heck.. shrub hydrangea ...

ken

o

Kira you probably do have a mock orange. Is it the new wood thing that's throwing you off? It's still considered old wood even if there are a couple inches of new stem that grow before the blooms show. A June bloomer flowering at 10 ft sounds like old wood.... Now if you can chop it down to 3 ft in march and have full bloom by July, then it's blooming on new wood.
A picture would clear it up. Until then... Yes, it's probably shrub hydrangea.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 15:19

If it looks just like Philadelphus then it will be that.

o

well.. i presumed its blooming right now.. if so.. its not MO ...

more clear facts please

ken

o

Hi Kira,
Here's my Mockorange, pic taken on May 14 and the smell is intoxicaticating. If your shrub looks like this you have Mockorange.
 photo 05-14-12001.jpg

o

Sam, this looks very much like my bush. The flowers are the same, although the leaves on yours look smaller than mine. I'd say the scent of mine is also intoxicating.

Kato, yes it is the issue of blooms on old or new wood that has me confused. All of the flowers are on the green parts of the branches.

Ken, I know a picture would have helped, but I need a new camera and can't afford it right now. My iPad takes terrible pictures and that is all I have right now. I'm also very new to posting on-line so please forgive me if I didn't do this properly. Old dog, new tricks and all that.

Kira

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here