Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Abelia garden star size?

Posted by Brooks23 zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 16:37

HI, Lowes has a Garden Star Abelia. The tag says it will grow 5- 8 feet and I looked it up online and it has 2-3 feet. Can some one tell me which measurement is right?
Thanks Brooks23

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Abelia garden star size?

I'm a little skeptical of that cultivar name.......odd it shows up so infrequently. I'd be more inclined to think it some pirated form of patented variegated Abelia x grandiflora, like Twist of Lime or Silver Anniversary.......interesting how often the box stores, a few mail order sources and some other lesser independent nurseries will "create" new varieties that are really just renamed patented varieties. Illegal as heck but it happens.

At any rate, virtually any variegated cultivar of A. x grandiflora I can think of will be relatively compact in height (2-3') but can spread out rather impressively (4-5'). And in warmer winter climates, these sizes can increase by about a third to half again. Tag sizes should be considered as guidelines only - never the gospel :-))

o

gardengal48, Thanks for the information. I think I will pass on buying this plant. I am zone 6 and that is how far it is hardy. I like to have at least zone 5. Also not being sure of the size is not helpful.
Brooks23

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 23:03

Woody plants vary hugely in size with differences in planting site conditions and propagation methods. And old examples can be very much bigger than the many other young ones more often encountered.

Much as both producers and consumers would like them to come out of a mold and remain comparatively unchanged afterward, they don't.

o

bboy, You are so right. i have the same buddleia in different part of the yard and the size is different in each place.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 12:13

Since the one wholesale nursery in Texas seems to be effectively the only source of information online probably they came up with the 'Garden Star' name - whatever the history of the clone. The photo they used looks familiar, as though depicting originally another cultivar. But that could just mean they bought a picture from a stock service to provide a general representation of their variety rather than it being evidence that they have renamed an existing introduction.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here