Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kadrn

yellowing laurels

kadrn
11 years ago

I live in zone 7 and planted shipka laurels and mountain laurels this year. The leaves are now turning yellow. Is this from too much or not enough water?

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

no pic.. not much of an opinion..

transplant shock??? improper planting.. improper water .. who knows ...

ken

• akamainegrower
    11 years ago

It's perfectly normal for a percentage of the oldest leaves to turn yellow before they fall off for both plants. Both, however, are also prone to a number of fungal leaf infections. In the latter case, you'll see spots rather than a general yellowing. Chances are your plants are fine if you're seeing some yellowing that is effecting only a relatively small percentage of the leaves.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

which would mean ...

no plant holds ALL of its leaves forever.. interior yellowing/browning is normal .. increased by transplant or weather.. drought.. etc ...

and finally.. life is all in the buds.. which should be 'set' for next season.. as long as those look fine.. it should survive..

i have had many evergreen type plants.. lose all their needles/leaves the year of transplant.. after a hard z5 winter.. only to rebud and take off just fine ... and many were small pines ...

pic???

ken

• splitrock
    11 years ago

Me too...Mountain laurels and cherry laurels are both prone to soil born root fungus. Some of my dwarf mountain laurels were looking yellowish and unhappy, so I dug one up and it clearly had white spots of root fungus. Several others, which were quite well established, have the same problem. Only the ones planted on a pronounced slope are happy. I had used ground bark mixed with the native soil and had created a berm of soil with better drainage, but over time and with the frequent rains this summmer, it was not enough to maintain the great drainage they require.
    My instincts are to toss mine all out along with their surrounding soil. Does anyone know if they can be treated and relocated?

• blueheron
    10 years ago

I bought and planted a mountain laurel this spring and the leaves appeared to have spots on them. I thought maybe it was just transplant shock and the new growth did look disease-free, but lately the new growth also has black spot on the leaves.

I looked up information about mountain laurel diseases on the Penn State web site and they recommended some chemicals to use for black spot. Since I don't use them, I guess I'll just pull the plant... :^(

• blueheron
    10 years ago

I bought a mt laurel this spring and it started to get brown spots on the leaves right away. When the new growth started, it seemed to be disease-free, but I noticed recently the new growth has the black spots also..I don't use chemicals, so I guess I'll just pull it out if it doesn't seem any better. :^(

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz