Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsm_ca

New Dodonaea -- watering, care info?

rsm_ca
13 years ago

Hi there. I would appreciate everyone's two cents...

I'm in Orange County CA. I just planted a dozen 5 gallon (~5' tall) Dodonaea viscosa against my fence to create a screen (add privacy). Planted 5' on center. They are on the north side of the fence and receive full summer sun. It's late Nov. They're in amended soil and on a dedicated drip zone. They're one week old in my yard.

My goal is to get the most from my investment and I'd really appreciate some advice. Ideally, I'd like to grow 'em fast to 8' and wide enough to attain some privacy. After that, I just want to take care of them so that they'll look healthy and maximize their short lives.

- WATERING: Now and once established. How much should I water them? 1/2 gallon once a week from now till Spring? Then maybe 1 gallon twice a month for a year and then try wean them to nothing? Again, I'm on a dedicated zone with 1-4 gallon/hr drippers at my disposal.

- FERTILIZING: Now and once established. I assume I can just use my general organic complete fertilizer in it. Help me understand how you should fertilize shrubs like the Dodonaea? How often and how much you think?

Anything else I should know? Again, I appreciate your 411.

R

USDA 9B, Sunset Western 23

Comments (4)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Since no one else has responded, I'll give you what I can. I don't have any personal experience with this shrub, but most sources report that it's highly drought tolerant and likes its soil to dry out for at least a few days in between watering. Since we don't know how your soil drains, giving an amount or frequency of water isn't possible. You'll need to check the soil occasionally. Stick your finger down into the soil to test for the moisture level.

Have you had a soil test done to see what nutrients are missing from your soil? Do you fertilize your lawn around where the shrubs are planted? I'm not a big fan of fertilizing woody plants unless there is some indication of a need for missing nutrients.

One thing you could do is to contact your local agricultural extension office. They should be very familiar with your local conditions (climate, soil types and drainage, etc) and should be able to better guide you based on that knowledge.

• rsm_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Brandon. By design, most of my landscaping is native or low-water. I know that once my dodonaea and Tecoma Smithii are established, they require little-to-no water. My problem is knowing how people define "established" -- is that one calendar year? Through next summer?

I was thinking of delivering 1-2 gallons of water per shrub 1-2 times/month and then wean them after the summer. It's easier to recognize the need for more water (and adding some) than over-watering.

Thx, R

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Being "established" is indeed a relative term, and different people may mean slightly different things when they use the term. But, I think the most common definition would be when the plant seems to have had a chance to grow enough roots to support itself at the new location. One indication of this would be when significant new top growth emerges. I can just see all kinds of caveats popping up with this attempted definition, but it's a start.

The time period will depend on the type of plant (especially potential growth rate), the condition of the plant when planted (especially the condition of the root system), and the conditions where it is growing (soil, climate, etc). Unless there's something unusual in this case, I'd guess that your hopbush may be mostly established by summer. A much more vigilant check of soil moisture level is useful at first. As time goes on, and your plants become more established (after a month or so), you'll have a better feel for conditions and your plants will be better able to deal with longer periods without additional watering.

• rsm_ca
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great response -- thank you. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I've got one of those handheld moisture/pH/light sensors. Good soil moisture in the rootball. It's early Nov in Southern CA, my new plants are enjoying unseasonably warm days after a week of on & off showers. My soil is amended. It's probably nirvana for a shrub if I think about it. Better than some hillside somewhere that struggles to survive on rainfall alone. It's like winning the lottery.

Sounds like I just not be afraid to let them get dry for a couple of days between nice long soaks. I assume they'll tell me if they need water and it's not delicate.

Thanks again for your help. Very appreciated.