Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arbovitae

Posted by nsavusa OR (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 17:01

All my shrubs are starting to turn orange. Are they dying . They have been established for 5 years and doing great until this last month.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arbovitae

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 17:07

They're not dying. They are shedding their older foliage. It's normal.
It's called 'Flagging'.
Mike

o

Arborvitaes turning orange is not normal. Not at all. They will brown out some on the interior and drop some needles this time of year, but what the OP describes sounds very serious.

o

bot meant.. INTERIOR shedding is normal ... what he said ...

exterior.. next years buds.. should not yellow or brown.. what she said ...

they are conifers.. they are trees.. but they are not shrubs .... follow rules consistent with either.. but not as shrubs ...

a pic will get you a precise answer.. unlike the two guesses above ...

ken

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 11:01

I assumed interior. Every year at this time we get the same question.
Mike

o

Holy cow! Did I contradict Botann? After so many years, I should know better! Sorry, Mike, I think we were visualizing two different things.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 14:30

Problems with root rot on very frequently planted Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' are widespread and chronic. Otherwise, heavy summer mite buildups are sometimes seen affecting the coloring of these also. Arborvitaes, box and mahonias may also go all or partly orange at some times - I just had a couple Mahonias go partly orange recently, at the same time that the weather became cooler - maybe this is a nutrient deficiency that shows when soils are less warm. Since these three types of shrubs do this so often there is probably information available saying what is happening - I may have seen it talked about in The American Boxwood Society boxwood handbook for instance. When I see it the affected shrubs look like the site conditions are definitely less than optimal, with growth not being full and healthy looking in other ways in addition to the orange discoloration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here