Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall flowering shrub

Posted by slowstart Va (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 17:07

Help identifying this shrub that is flowering z7 mid October. Strong and sweet smelling, pollinators love it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall flowering shrub

Eleaeagnus. Invasive in some areas due to berries spread by birds and rapid growth. This one in particular looks like the one that puts out long whips of growth, requiring a lot of pruning to keep under control. My neighbor's yard is full of them and now they are popping up in all the surrounding yards.

Also recognized by the silvery color on the back of the leaves.

o

Thanks for the response. You are right about the long wips. I'm using the plant to block the view on the corner of my lot and it serves purpose well. Interestingly it is not expanding and I haven't found it spreading elsewhere. I cut the wips down in the winter to a selected height. The flowers are a wonderful perfume that I smell a hundred feet away.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 13:43

Shrubs that grow in leaps fill in afterward - you aren't stuck with long bare sections indefinitely. No need to cut those off unless you are trying to control size.

o

My Elaeagnus x ebbingei 'Gilt Edge' is blooming right now. Really nice fragrance. They also have edible fruit.

There are a number of attractive variegated cultivars -- Limelight, Gold Splash, Eleodor, etc. I do not believe these are as 'invasive' and they don't have the thorny spurs that E. pungens does.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here