Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

My old grandpa shrubs -- part II

MizLizzie
9 years ago

Hello, all. Last year I wrote about whether to attempt to salvage my overgrown front foundation shrubs. Someone here called them old grandpa shrubs ;-) and suggested I deploy euthanasia post haste. So I did. Almost. I tried to save the three largest, and plant newer, more colorful stuff around it. That said, pulling out the overgrown side shrubs left some bald areas in the grandpas where the plants had grown into one another. My landscaper was confident they would fill out.

Nope. A year later, no new growth in thin spots. See picture. These shrubs have been in 18 years. I now have two choices. Replace those three (compacta hollies) with new shrubs, which I probably should have done to start with. Or restoration prune the old grandpas and hope they start over.

If I take the old boys down to a stalk and some nubbins, do you reckon anything will happen? Something in between? Or euthanasia? All advice welcome.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

My landscaper was confident they would fill out.

Nope.

==>>> sounds like the dude who told you to get rid of the grandpas... knows more than your landscaper... lol ..

and i seem to think i might know whomever said such... lol ...

you already wasted one year ... i will yell... GET RID OF THEM ....

crikey you have patience in the garden.. lol ...

sure.. cut them to 3 inches.. and waste next year.. to see if they resprout ... maybe.. maybe... but i wouldnt want to be looking at them.. every time i went in and out the front door ...

ken

• User
    9 years ago

MizLizzie,
    That is the front of your house.
    That is the first thing people see when they come to visit you. It is the picture from the street.
    No offense, but, I wouldn't have a shrub that looks like that big ugly thing right next to my front steps.
    If you are keeping it there because you don't know what to replace it with, look online under front landscaping ideas and see if there is a pic of a home similar to yours, and see what it is planted with.
    You may see something you really like, and then you will know what to buy for that spot.
    We can give you suggestions too, if you want, but we hae to know a general area that you live in, wether part sun, full sun, you will get suggestions.
    I like those little green things. Are those the holly you were referring to? I think they are pretty.
    The grandpa shrub, not so much.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in 7B. The variegated hollies are goshki osmanthus, or false holly, one of my favorites. Those are further ringed by dwarf barberries for contrast. Adjacent is a bed of peach drifts and variegated liriope. I do try to be patient with my plants and not dig anything up until hopeless. But I guess I'm about to commit another mercy killing. I will go back with the same compacta holly, just younger, thinner, more energetic ones -- and pray that my husband doesn't get any ideas . . .

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

In 7B you have SO MANY wonderful options for broadleaved evergreens that could replace the Ilex crenata 'Compacta'.

Looks like that area gets some shade?

Consider Solid Green dwarf aucuba (gets berries).
    Or a wonderful 'Bonanza' Camellia sasanqua - grows slowly and stays lower.

Maybe Viburnum tinus or propinquum (if you can find it).

So many options that would stay foliated all the way to the ground for many, many years.

I'm jealous of your 7B climate!

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and advice. Dave, interestingly, that particular camellia is a favorite of my landscaper's, and one he recommended. Unfortunately, he says they are in short supply right now. And as common as it is, I do love the compacta and it will give me the look I love. I think the death blow will be dealt today so I'm heading out to sharpen my shovel.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Not sure where you live, but there are numerous Bonanzas in my local nursery here in Northern VA, and I'm not even sure they are hardy here!

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

The dominant problem I see is that everything is sheared. I do not see a problem with anything being too big. If it were my place I would see how things looked after a few years of no shearing, take it from there. I would probably also buy something to fill in the empty spot, where there is nothing in front of the house.