Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub with Bright Purple berries?

Posted by amprice 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 23, 08 at 18:26

does anybody recognize this description. It is a shrub with green leaves and bright purple little berries (not sure what else to call them) growing in clusters. Can anyone tell me the name of it just from the description? it is growing in a shade garden in our new home planted by previous owners

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub with Bright Purple berries?

Callicarpa dichotoma - American beauty berry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Callicarpa

o

Or, it may be one of the various oriental beautyberry species or cultivars, C. dichotoma, C. bodinieri or C. japonica. As I recall, the berries sit on the branches differently for most of the species, so you should be able to tell from photos if you use the Images function on Google.

o

The American one is Callicarpa americana.

o

If you're seeing this in zone 5, you most likely are looking at the C. dichotoma, because it's the only one that is hardy enough for our zone. I like the look of C. Americana better, but winter usually kills it. :(

o

Bingo!!! Thank you so very much! It is the C.dichotoma. I have tried to upload pictures of several others that I am having trouble identifying but the file size from my kodak easyshare is too big for this website. This is the only one that is easily describable so at least I can check one off the list. Does anybody know of a website that accepts pictures for identification?

o

Open a free account on photobucket, store them there and provide a link to your picture here.

o
RE: Shrub with Dark Purple berries?

I am also looking for the name of a green leaf shrub. It keeps it's leaves throughout all seasons; small purple berries grow (like grapes) in the winter. In spring it has tiny white to yellow flowers (somewhat sweet aroma). I have heard it called Wax Leaf Agusta; but cannot find that name any where. It looks very similar to a Red Tip, but these never have red leaves. It can get the size of a medium size tree if left untrimmed. I would like to know the name so I can find out if the berries of poisonous. My Bischon really wants to eat them and I have tried to be very careful with him around the berries when they are on the ground. I really need to know what this is. By the way, I am in Central Texas-Zone 8. Thanks

o

It sounds like wax leaf ligustrum. I don't grow it myself, but I've read that all parts of the plant are poisonous, so please don't let your dog eat the berries!
Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here