Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose of Sharon - Recommendations

Posted by shw104 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 5, 09 at 18:45

Hello,

I'm planning a bit for my spring projects and would like to plant 3-4 Rose of Sharon bushes along our property line. I have a couple fairly small bushes growning now and they are doing amazingly well. The area I am thinking about gets a lot of sun, especially in the morning.

My current two plants both get white blooms. I know they come in lots of colors and I'd like to have some variety.

Anyone with any good recommendations of types of Rose of Sharon bushes and colors? Which ones would grow the best in my climate zone (Central Maryland/Baltimore)? Where is the best place to pick them up (online??). I have no been impressed with the selections (and prices) at my local nurseries.

Thank you!!
Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose of Sharon - Recommendations

I like 'Lucy' double clear pink. 'Blue Satin' is a sorta new one that is also very nice. Large med-blue-lavender flowers with dark and white centers. I got my B.S. from Bluestone in 2005. It is now a good 4' tall. I got my Lucy from a locale nursery. It is huge and I cut it down to 1-2' every few years.

Can't speak to locale question.

o

Scott, I recently saw Blue Satin at our local Lowes store. It was a nice sized 3 gallon plant for about $15. They have had other colors throughout the summer too. Rose of Sharon seems to be one of those plants that you just have to be continually on the lookout for. They are around, but not consistently. Good luck.

o

I just purchased the sugar tip rose of sharon. It is a little tiny thing but I just could resist the Variegated and double blooms. Internet special at park seeds :)

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 13, 09 at 22:39

The "blue" cultivars are considerably more unusual and visually arresting than the others. Lots of other kinds of white-, pink- and purple-flowered shrubs.

Likewise the open trumpets of the natural single flower forms are more eye-catching than most of the doubles, which may appear like wadded tissues.

o

Agree with the post above, the open trumpet types are much more impactful. The Aphrodite that I have does have seedlings that appear but die off late fall.

I have to say I am not a fan of ROS in groupings. I have one guy in my neighborhood that planted 5 in a row on his property line and it just looks ugly, because of the various heights and widths.

I think they are better suited for specimans.

o

Another vote for Lucy. Here are some pics of mine:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

SHW,
Moonshine Designs Nursery sells on Ebay, I bought a Rose of Sharon from them, the Blue satin, beautiful plant and they are reasonable.
They are a regular nursery and sell Proven Winners.
Rose of Sharon is a wonderful shrub or tree, just watch out for all the offspring, lol, you certainly have to mow your lawn frequently. (or give them to your friends)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here