Return to the Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fix a bad viburnum pruning?

Posted by molanic Z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 18:53

Years ago I got three one gallon sized arrowwood viburnums 'Autumn Jazz'. I foolishly planted them based on the information on the tags which said they would be 3'wide x 4-5'tall. After seeing how fast they were growing and learning that they could actually get to be 3 times that size... I decided to move them. I waited until fall to move them, but decided to cut them back a bit so they wouldn't shade nearby plantings...and because I thought it would help with the transplanting later. I cut off maybe one foot from the top. That was a bad idea I think. They responded well to the transplanting in fall, but the top of each stem branched out at the nodes below the cut. All the new top growth is now weak and flops over.

Should I start cutting some of the branches down to the ground to encourage new shoots to come up? Is it best to do no more than 1/3 of the branches this way each year? And should I wait until late winter to do it? They are probably about 4' tall now, although it is hard to tell with all the flopping.

Advice would be very appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fix a bad viburnum pruning?

google REJUVENATION PRUNING ... review such..

if after doing so.. you need further advice.. post a pic and perhaps we can help you ...

how long ago was the transplant.. last fall or further back????

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here