Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayco_gw

What Cultivar of Witch Hazel would you recommend?

jayco
11 years ago

I want to plant a witch hazel, Hamamelis x intermedia or H. Mollis. There are so many and I'm having trouble choosing. I like the orange ones but think they would show less well than the yellow. 'Arnold Promise' is much easier to come by than others around here. I've occasionally seen 'Jelena,' 'Primavera,' and 'Diane' in local nurseries. Other cultivars I'd probably have to mail order. Any input? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I'm in a very different part of the country...but I've got 'Jelena' and 'Diane' as I like the orange better. They're great. I don't disagree that the yellow will stand out better, however. I also have 'Feuerzaube' (Magic Fire) but it is small so can't speak to its display very well. Good luck!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Of the yellows, the most popular one we sell is 'Pallida' because of the very strong fragrance. I agree that yellow 'shows' the best but I like the oranges and reds too. 'Ruby Glow' is my favorite but I also grew 'Jelena'. If these are planted with a light colored structure as backdrop, the flower color seems to be more evident.

• bogturtle
    11 years ago

Diane holds old leaves the color of brown paper into Spring.
    Robert does not seem to. I am growing both.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

The orange flowering cultivars show pretty well in my opinion. I enjoyed the flowers on my 'Jelena' this past winter.

I just got a Arnold Promise this spring and although brief the fall color appears to be pretty good.

My Girard's Purple by far has the best fall color. Its starting to show the same color this year. The purple doesn't stand out unless its near by. This one is outside a window so its perfect.

{{gwi:6893}}

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    11 years ago

I wouldn't have recommended 'Diane'....tiny flowers and barely any scent.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

I never understood the desire for fragrance on a winter blooming witch hazel in most zones...

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I remember when I lived in NYC, right across from Central Park. One snowy March day the sun came out and warmed up the air enough for me to venture out into the park. I came across a blooming witch hazel that smelled divine. It might not be a 'knock you over' kind of experience, but one of the most delightful harbingers of spring that I can imagine. Now, of course, in CA, I can barely remember what snow is...

• jayco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The local nursery now has 4 foot Arnold Promises with nice fall color, for 1/2 price = $25. No other cultivars. I'm tempted. Anyone have any reservations about AP?

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Nope, its a classic for good reason. I'm a snob and even I have one!

If its not excessively pot bound, I'd get it.

• jayco
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I can always add another cultivar in the spring!

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

There is a lot of different kinds. In his 2005 RHS/Timber Press book on witch hazels Chris Lane recommends the hybrids 'Angelly', 'Aphrodite', 'Arnold Promise', 'Aurora', 'Barmstedt Gold', 'Diane', 'Frederic', 'Gingerbread', 'Glowing Embers', 'Harry', 'Jelena', 'Livia', 'Orange Peel', 'Pallida', 'Ripe Corn', 'Robert', 'Rubin', 'Sunburst', 'Vesna' and the pure Chinese witch hazel selections 'Imperialis', 'Jermyns Gold' and 'Wisley Supreme'.

That's just the ones he thinks are good bets.

I tend to prefer 'Pallida' but getting the true plant can be a problem. I grew one for years that never developed full-sized flowers, continue to see similar stock offered.

It sets the standard on which to judge all others (Lane)